Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
river catfishing
So I've hit a dry spell when it comes to catfishing, so I'm gonna try down by the river. Where do I fish on the river for catfish?
[signature]
I am NO expert so take this for what you paid for it. I like to float rivers. I find most of my bites come at the beginning and end of rippels. Seldom do I get bites in the rippels but when it is very warm and the water is in the high 70's to low 80's the cats can be there looking for areas with higher DO rates. Watch where the water will form an eddy. This is a spot where the cats will hold and wait for the food to come to them. Ron
[signature]
First, I'd love to know how to catfish lakes.

I'd try holes for large forktails. You can sink worms down without worrying about bluegill taking the bait.

Logjams are decent, but changes in the current are always nice places. Good luck!
[signature]
The key to river fishing is how you read it. A catfish like to eat alot and work a little if you know what i mean. You need to look for good ambush places rocks stumps, old broken down docks or just slack water off the main channel. A very good tecneak is to use a boat and fish the wood in the river . There is always plenty of it. Anchor your boat above a tree in the water and work your bait as close to it as you can. I use a whole dead walleye size minow in this spot. Hook it threw the side of the head and sqeeze it with your fingers until it pops. use enough weight to hold it down and float it using the current to the wood . From there all you should have to do is hold on... Good luck and good fising [fishin][fishin]
[signature]
[quote tanman89]So I've hit a dry spell when it comes to catfishing, so I'm gonna try down by the river. Where do I fish on the river for catfish?[/quote]

Rivers I would say are the best place to fish for cats. 9/10 times I fish rivers for cats. One of my favorite spots is off of a bridge that runs across so I am able to pick the parts of the current I fish in. The type of bait you are using will depend on where you fish. I usually fish right on the edge of a strong current, usuing chubs or a good chunk of liver/cut bait. If you are using dip/stink bait or worms try and fish in a calmer area with little to no current. I always fish the bottom, but have caught a few cats a foot or so off the bottom in areas with no current. I've also noticed that in rivers with alot of current you will typically catch flathead cats, and where there is little to no current you catch blue and channel cat.
[signature]
[quote SoDak_Jonnie][quote tanman89]So I've hit a dry spell when it comes to catfishing, so I'm gonna try down by the river. Where do I fish on the river for catfish?[/quote]

Rivers I would say are the best place to fish for cats. 9/10 times I fish rivers for cats. One of my favorite spots is off of a bridge that runs across so I am able to pick the parts of the current I fish in. The type of bait you are using will depend on where you fish. I usually fish right on the edge of a strong current, usuing chubs or a good chunk of liver/cut bait. If you are using dip/stink bait or worms try and fish in a calmer area with little to no current. I always fish the bottom, but have caught a few cats a foot or so off the bottom in areas with no current. I've also noticed that in rivers with alot of current you will typically catch flathead cats, and where there is little to no current you catch blue and channel cat.[/quote]

yes well true to bottom fishing. i use liver or bluegill LIVE for flathead. and use 5/0 hooks or 4/0 ur choice for big ones but if u fish for small ones use 2/0. small are more plentful and fun to catch. but big brutes like my dad caught 54lbs off trotlines come with a price. a whole day fishing for bluegill to use for bait.be sure to set out trotlines. AND i would use a MH action rod with a ambassudar reel with 20lb cajun line. thats how i fish
[signature]