Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
first time trout fishing
this is my first time going trout fishing
what kind of bait should i use please reply
[signature]
Hey, welcome to BFT!
It is always good to see someone new here and I am looking forward to us learning a lot from each other.

As far as your question goes it is kind of like asking, "Who is the most beautiful woman in the world?" You will get a lot of different answers (I think we all know it is the wife o' my life).
Everyone has their favorite.
Every situation calls for a change up.
Lakes vs streams; summer vs spring; boat vs dock; dock vs shore; rain vs sun; stocked vs wild; spy vs spy
I think you get the idea...

There was an interesting thread started on this board about favorite baits I am going to try and put a link to the thread, but I am not an expert so if it does not work just do a search on the board or your state board for bait.
[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=329692;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;page=unread#unread"][/url]
[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=329692;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;page=unread#unread"]Bait thread[/url]

Either way good luck to you in your trout adventures!
[signature]
nightcrawlers, meal worms, minnows, powerbait (a must in my opinion), white buctail jigs like what are used for crappie, just about anything that looks like food and is small enough for them to eat. Good Luck!
[signature]
Welcome to BFT. To start try mepps style spinners, red and white spoons and then tie on a clear bubble filled with water and a fly. For bait a worm on a hook below a bobber always works as well.
[signature]
It also depends on where you are fishing what kind of fishing you like to do. If you are at a lake, there is no point in plunking a spinner over and over in the same spot, so if working along the bank is difficult you are better off with bait. Personally, I much prefer using spinners because I feel like I am going after them instead of just sitting and waiting for one to come to me. Your best bet is to look for local info - most newspapers have local fishing reports and most bait shops know what is working in their area. And there are are lots of books on fishing for us newbies.

A tip I just learned that I presume anyone who is more than a newcomer knows: trout will shy away if they see your line. Don't use bigger than 6 lb unless you have reason to believe there are big ones in there and ask at the bait shop about color.
[signature]
Like what was mentioned before in this thread. it all depends on where you are at and what type of water and trout. I am partial to spinners and other types of hardware. One of my favorite for small lakes or ponds is called a curley's supersonic fishing lure. I cast out and let it sink close to bottom and reel in at medium speed or with an eratic retrieve. this lure is not that well known and may not be available everywere. local tackle shops are a great place to start when looking for info on specific waters. good luck
Brian
[signature]
I like fishing with artificial lures for trout myself, however if your just starting out you might want to focus on live bait. Maggots and mealworms.

If you do want to try some trout spinners, this is one of my favorites.... [url "http://www.sachsfishing.com"]www.sachsfishing.com[/url].

The origional spinner in white is my old trusty haha
[signature]
[cool] hello, i have done well on strike king bitsy minnow's in 1/8oz firetiger, and rebel teeny wee craw's. the stocker trout seem to love them. as far as wild river trout i would go with some kind of bait i've done well on nightcrawlers, maggots, and cured salmon row casting up-stream and letting it drift down stream.[fishin]
[signature]
I have been using red trout worms and have been doing great with them, also use small Kastmasters and some small rooster tails. I would go with the worms for ur best chance, then if u catch a few try switchin to a lure and see f u can get a few that way. Good luck!
[signature]
Like everyone else has mentioned here, it all depends on where you are fishing and which type of trout you are targeting. This [url "http://www.troutfishingtipshq.com"]website[/url] provides some nice trout fishing tips for bait and lure selection. Hope this helps. Good luck!
[signature]
Red and white spoon, then with water and flies filled with a clear bubble. For bait worm on the hook below the float is always work as well....
[signature]