Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
fishing Fresno California
[size 2][font "Courier New"]I am going to Fresno California Friday night and would like to go to a hot spot near Fresno.[/font][/size]

[font "Courier New"][size 2] [/size][/font]

[size 2][font "Courier New"]You can e-mail me or I'll keep checking back.[/font][/size]

[size 2][font "Courier New"]Thanks Steve[/font][/size]
[signature]
[cool]There are quite a few lakes and reservoirs within easy driving distance of Fresno. My recommendation would be Pine Flat Reservoir. They get some big trout, largies and spotted bass there. You will find it fishes a lot like Perris. Should be some web sites if you look it up.

I have no idea what the water levels or fishability of the lakes in central or northern Cal are this year. The drought may have them hurtin'.
[signature]
[size 2][font "Courier New"]I have called several places in Fresno to find out where to go float tubing,[/font][/size]

[size 2][font "Courier New"]Maybe I should be trying out my new Bamboo fly rod?[/font][/size]

[size 2][font "Courier New"]Everyone first question to me is,[/font][/size]

[size 2][font "Courier New"]why do you want to for bass with all this great trout fishing.[/font][/size]

[size 2][font "Courier New"]I just need to buy some backing and leader, and flies and what else?[/font][/size]

[font "Courier New"][size 2] thanks Steve[/size][/font]

[size 2][font "Courier New"]Fish tremble at the mention of my name[/font][/size][/url]

[size 2][font "Courier New"]><((((º>`•.¸¸´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•...¸>(((º> [/font][/size]

[size 2][font "Courier New"].•´¯`•.><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•...¸><((((º> [/font][/size]

[signature]
[cool]If you wanna go trout fishing, the Kings River is where you should be going. I have fished it from the foothills to it's origin in Center Basin, way back in the Sierras. They have some C&R only stretches not too far from Fresno. The water is clear and the fish are wise. Not a good place to practice if you are not already a savvy fly flinger. One question I have is whether or not you would be better (healthwise) sticking with a lowland reservoir. This time of year it is hot up there, and to find good fishing on the streams you usually have to hike a ways from the road's end.

If you are not dead set on Fresno, stop at Bakersfield and go up the Hill to Lake Isabella. It is good bass fishing, and the Kern River, both above and below the lake are good fly fishing for trout.

For fly flshing, you will need a line, backing, tapered leaders, tippet material and a range of surface and subsurface flies. Dark patterns in sizes 12 to 16 will work, although both larger and smaller will work. Matching the hatch can be critical with those educated fish in the C&R areas.

[url "http://www.fishsniffer.com/maps/pineflat.html"]http://www.fishsniffer.com/maps/pineflat.html[/url] Pine Flat Link

[url "http://www.fedflyfishers.org/Fly%20of%20the%20Month/flymonth0702KRC.htm"]http://www.fedflyfishers.org/Fly%20of%20the%20Month/flymonth0702KRC.htm[/url] Fly Pattern
[signature]
I better stick to a [size 1]reservoir[/size] close by Fresno then.

I have never had any luck with Strippers
[signature]

Hi there Taipan,

The Kern River right in Kernville near the big bridge, with planted trout regularly in about a very wide section of the river with 18 inches of water, would be a great place to try out your new rod. The upper reaches of the Kern can be a tough place to fish and I'm not sure I'd risk a $$$$$$ bamboo rod if I wasn't an experienced flyfishing angler and good wader.

It really gets hot up there so make sure you store your gear out of the heat especially the bamboo rod!

Oh Ya, the fish tremble when they see me coming too, that's just before they burst out really laughing!!!

Last time I went, the bivisibles were great later in the afternoon. What a way to cool off after the days heat has died down.

JapanRon
[signature]
[cool]Hey, JapanRon, you are talking about an area in which I used to spend a lot of great fishing time. I usually fished the top part of the lake at daybreak, for bass and crappies, in the trees, and then took my flyrod up the river to exercise some trout. Had some stretches that I could stand in one spot and release one rainbow after another, on a variety of flies...mostly hatchery pets, of course. But, with larger flies, fished in the deeper runs and holes, I also hooked some nice big browns and more than a few of those big squawfish that live throughout the river.

I don't know if you ever left the main Kern and hiked up any of the tributary streams, but Brush Creek is one worth checking out. There are a series of deep holes in the lower portion, each with one or more LARGE browns. Then, above where the little creek pours over a couple of low falls, the fish are all wild rainbows with a few browns and further up, even a brookie or two.

Great country up there. And, if you get away from where the hatchery trucks dump their loads...followed by the bait dunkers...you can find some decent troutin'. Good memories.
[signature]

Hi there TubeDude,

Yes, I've fished the place you're talking about but the lake has gone down so much that the river water hardly even goes under the highway 1/2 a mile from Kernville nowdays. About the only thing that wants to hang around near the lake where the water flows in are small bass, etc. from the lake. The Isabella riverbed there is all silted up and surrounded by sand dunes and dead trees. It takes a good hike to get to the banks. Not for me.

The big ol bridge I'm refering to is the one that is like right in the middle of town after you pass the park on the right side and go part way around the little traffic circle.

You can wade that area easily up or down from the bridge. I believe they plant extra heavy and maybe twice a week.

JapanRon
[signature]
[cool]Great Report, Taipan. I'm assuming you are still in Fresno area, and that you are on someone else's computer. At least you didn't log in. But, since you introduced yourself, we know who you are.

Ain't it amazing how the locals sometimes get locked into their own set ways and cannot open their minds to the possibility of catching fish with a different method? I couldn't count the number of times I have been taken out by a local when I was either new to an area or just visiting. After fishing the way the "expert" shows me, I go to what I think will work better and often I end up giving the other guy the fishing lesson.

Really glad you had a good outing with the daughter...and glad you found a lake with some fish and some available boats. Of course, when it's hot, all the smart people stay where it's cool. But, whoever said us fishermen were smart?

As I recall, there are also some decent bass in Shaver. Did you get a chance to play with any of them?
[signature]