Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Slipaway to Starvation (Res.)
[cool][#0000ff]For two weeks Mama Nature has pitched a hissy fit when I planned a trip to Starvation. This morning I sneaked out under cover of darkness and boogied for Knight Hollow...hoping to get on the water before she knew I had outfoxed her. It worked.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Air temp a cool 45 at launch. Water temp a cool 63...especially cool without waders. Ya gotta be tough. Only warmed up to 65 by quittin' time at noon, even with calm wind and warm temps.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I was more than ready. Luckily, so were the fishies. I used the trolling motor to head out into the lake, watching the depth and looking for fish on the sonar. Shut down and started fishing in about 20 feet of water. Started dragging a worm-baited "flig" (floating jig) on one rod while vertical jigging and bottom bouncing a small jig on the other rod.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Got my first inquiry on the pale perch colored flig in about 24' of water. Good scrapper. Took line off the drag. Was thinking smallmouth. Fooled me. It was a PORKY PERCH...14 incher. Way to start the day. Biggest perch of the day too.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Then I started alternating. First a perch and then a mini walleye. Got into an area that was covered with wall-ettes...nothing over about 10 inches. Caught a grundle of them, along with perch that were longer and heavier.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Loved the perch but had come for the toothy guys. Kept moving around and trying different jigs. Finally tried one of my new ultra minnow jigs that I had modified to have a spinner blade...kinda like a Roadrunner. Fished it a while and was just getting ready to change again when THUMP. My biggest walleye landed of the day...a nice 16 incher. It was followed soon by a 15 incher. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]After a long dry spell on both the flig and the jingle jig things got busy. I changed to my deadly "RC Killer" (red & chartreuse tube jig) and started getting fish again. At one point I was five for five...five drops and five walleyes. Only a couple were over the "teen incher" size limit I had imposed upon myself. All the foot-longs or smaller still swim. And there are lots of them for future reference.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Two times my flig rod took a sudden deep bend and the surface erupted with a head-shaking rainbow. Landed the first one after a spirited tussle. 16". Just right for my sis in law. The second one was larger. A lot larger. Of course he arranged a "professional release". I was just a spectator as he tore up the surface, twisted free of the offending sticky thing and then swam off.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Had a similar situation on smallmouths. Tried throwing cranks over a shallow hump and got thumped good. A 3 pound smallie came up for a look at me, decided he didn't like what he saw and gave me back my crank. Got a couple of other bumps but no more hookups on hardbaits.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The RC Killer put several more teen inchers in the basket for me before the combination of low wind and high sun sent them...somewhere. Suddenly it just died. I moved around and tried different depths to no avail. I had nine perch and nine walleyes in the basket. That seemed like a nice round number on which to quit. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]There was a boat with a couple of other guys fishing near enough for conversation for a while. They were spanking the small wallies pretty good too and said they had one about 20". Also said that they were told by some buddies that there is a crankbait bite starting for the walleyes if you hit them right. But the wind has been blowing hard over there most of the day...every day. I told them I brought the calm. I don't do wind very well in my tube.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Water level seems to have peaked and is starting to drop. Down a foot or so from high water but still pretty high. Good clarity.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Not much water coming in the diversion pipe. And it is pretty clean. Didn't seem to be holding any fish. I talked to a couple of boaters who had fished it. One caught a small walleye and a perch but nobody else got bit.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Final tally: 9 and 9...plus a slimer. I caught perch from 12' to 30'. Ditto for walleyes. Best areas were in water between 10 to 15 feet deep. Baited with worms on fligs and jigs...except for the few times I tipped with 2" chub minnows. Caught both perch and walleye on minnows as well as worms.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Ahhh the bite is on. Nice perch!!!!! Gotta get up there this year.[cool]
[signature]
Great catching, Porky pig Perch
[signature]
Sweet !!! Got some nice fish and nice day on the water.
As always love the report and pictures.

Peter
[signature]
You had a great day 2 of the best tastin perch and eyes, yum!
[signature]
You are the man Pat. Nice fish and good looking new mod on the minnow jig. Purty Purty.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Thanks. According to the guys in the boat, there are walleye starting to suspend. Sounds like time for you and Nancy to drag up a few.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[quote pa]You are the man Pat. Nice fish and good looking new mod on the minnow jig. Purty Purty.[/quote]

[cool][#0000ff]Thanks Lee. I know you are a big fan of the Roadrunners. Me too. I have really loved those ultra minnow jig heads for vertical jigging. They have a "horizontal hold" that makes them ideal for both ice fishing and vertical presentations from the tube. SOOOOOOOO...I messed with the mold and drilled out a little pocket to allow me to cast in a small swivel like on the Roadrunners. Now I can add some bling to them.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I do a lot of different things with those ultra minnows. I also make some of my "jingle jigs" with them. See the pic.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
sweet looking minows
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Glad you approve.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]By the way, TubeBabe and I really gained an appreciation for them on Salmon Falls a couple of years ago. We had been catching quite a few fish, on other things, but when we started fishing with the 1/8 oz. ultra minnow with a piece of perch meat we caught fish EVERY CAST...7 species in one area. They are super for ice fishing jigs too. I make up a bunch with glow powder in the paint jobs. I wouldn't leave home without them.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Thanks for sharing Pat. I am going to add these to my list of jigs I want to make when I get into jig making. [Smile]

Just this week, I have been using something similar to your ultra minnows for gills and cats on Utah Lake. It works great at catching, but the hooks and paint job don't last like they do on your jigs.

And thanks for the Starvation report. I hope I can get out there soon.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I think we will be getting a small floatilla together on Tuesday next week. You guys up for it?[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Glen is probably out for next Tuesday and I am 50/50 because of some work deadlines. I'll email you Monday.

Of course, if I do go I will have to beg you for a Starvation trip box...for a fee of course. [Smile]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]The hot action on Starvation is just starting. There is a lot of good fishing ahead. If you guys can work out a joint trip and it fits both weather and my personal schedule I will arrange a personal introduction to that lake and its inhabitants.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]No problem with the starter kit. Pretty simple. I know that guy that makes that stuff and it does not take more than a few things for most situations.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]There are more than a few guys around here who have caught their first (and more) walleyes on one of our BFT sessions at Starvation. It has lots of them and they are very cooperative.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I hope we can work something out in the next little bit. I'm out for Tuesday because of work (dang it!!!!) but I know we can figure something out soon. I need to catch a walleye at some point in my life and Starvation sounds like it has some willing participants. On the other hand, PERCH. I love yellow perch. The biggest I have ever caught was 10 inches. I wouldn't know what to do with myself if I caught one that was 12 or 14. Anyhow, let's figure something out and I'm sure Veha and I will harass you for the "starvation starter kits" soon. [Wink][Wink]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Stay in touch. Let me know when you guys can get a hole in your schedule and we can work around that.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Looking at yout first pic how deep is the water around the outside edge of all that nice structure?
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I pushed my tube out about 20 feet in a foot or so of water. Then it sloped off to 3 to 4 feet fairly quickly and then dropped to about 15 feet out at the edge. Good structure for smallmouths as well as shallow-foraging walleyes. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The water levels start dropping fairly quickly now and all of that brush will be out of water soon. By the end of summer you can walk 50 yards out without getting your feet wet.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I saw all that brush and started thinking bass. Thanks. I am going to have to get out there here really soon.[cool]
[signature]