Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is the wierdest thing you've ever caught?
No, they get up to 70 lbs and live in the kelp and eat squid.
[url "http://www.ultimatefishingsite.net/types_of_fish/whiteseabass.html"]http://www.ultimatefishingsite.net/types_of_fish/whiteseabass.html[/url]
[signature]
When I was a kid fishing at the dock of the bay...I casted out and my line took off....
Straight up....it seams the lure wrapped around a seagulls leg....i was told keep his head up don't loose him. LOL

Her's a good one...I was fishing offshore on the east coast for bluefish. Using fairly medium tackle I hooked one about 5 lbs. or so. As I reeled him in...a huge Mako shark (100-200 lbs) grabbed the bluefish and porceeded to do a tail dance across the water...it peeled all my line off the spool before I had a chance to declare war and tightend the drag....POP...no line left. He was gone with my fish and all my line.
[signature]
See... ask and you shall receive. Thanks man. There's one more fish I know about that I may never get to hook.[:p]
[signature]
Someone needs to start a big bird tackle site with all of these bird hooking experts on here. I have never fished salt water but I do know what it's like to get spooled out completely. I've had 20 lb. plus catfish nail whatever jig I was throwing on different occasions, along with some in the 50lb. class, and had them take off straight up or down stream in heavy river current. That's a tall order when you are throwing 8lb. test. I have landed a few big channel, flat head, blue, and Mississippi white catfish under those circumstances but I have lost a lot more.
[signature]
After ice off at Utah Lake American Fork Boat Harbor back in 1986. I thought I had a fish and a couple guys who were getting skunked looked at me. I was like "I got one!" It turned out to be a rock! Fooled me....felt just like a fish.[sly]

Caught turtles out of the Colorado River.

One time my mother caught a cute little turtle in Arizona. I thought I could stick my fingers in its mouth and get the hook out. Well it turns out the snapping turtle can......well....snap!
Lucky for me it didn't! Talk about stupidity on my behalf. We let the turtle go with the hook in its mouth. Poor thing![frown]
[signature]
Haha. Reminds me of a time my buddy and I were fishing at Kolob. And he hooked into one and started reeling like crazy. He reeled for a few minutes and didn't seem to be getting it in. Finally, it got off. He cast out to the same spot, and sure enough, it got on again. He reeled and reeled, but it didn't seem to be getting any closer. He was so excited cause he was sure it was a big fish. Finally, I said, let me see your pole. I grabbed it and immediately knew it was a snag. He had his drag set so he could "reel in" without it breaking the line. Wonder how big the rock was. Lol.
[signature]
once while fishing a small lake in the uintas, not me, but my buddy in my canoe snagged a fly with his spinner. We he kept pulling in line, and finally came up with a fenwick fly rod, and medalist reel. not that snagging tackle is so unusual,but in the middle of a high uintas lake makes me want to know the beginning of the story.
[signature]
Even after all my rambling - I forgot one of the oddest of all.

Was visiting NY/NJ and staying along the river coast. Folks fishing at night using baitfish as big as a healthy catch in my book - going after Stripers (striped bass). After learning about them - that's been part of my motivation to seek our local Wipers.

So this guy thinks he's snagged, and is pulling up something heavy. They had big tackle. As he gets it to the surface, thinks it's a branch. By the time he hauls it into the light - we see it's a horseshoe crab. But wait - it's not just one, but two horseshoe crabs, and they are locked in the dance of love.

The guy who caught it didn't want it, but an Asian fellow there motioned that he'd like to keep them. So he manages to put the two spiney-pokey things in a plastic shopping bag, and hooks it onto the handlebars of his bike, and slowly rides off.

Don't know if that's normal for them, but it was weird for me! Never heard of eating horseshoe, but maybe crab-is-crab! A little garlic, a little butter... just watch out for the green stuff!
[signature]
[#804000][size 2]Got a dock octopus tangled up in my crab net in Coos Bay Oregon once.....Kinda like calf roping without a horse.......After some pretty severe rope burns, the octopus won.[/size][/#804000]
[#804000][size 2]Fortunate for me, he was a catch and release type octopus, and I'm still around to tell the tale.[/size][/#804000]
[signature]
I was fishing with Tannersgrandpa, we were trolling mud creek at Strawberry and as we headed back out to the lake, Tannersgrandpa's pole acted like he had snagged a small piece moss, so he reeled in his line and noticed the largest crawdad clamped on to the worm behind the pop gear. (check pic)
[signature]
I said the weirdest (slang for most weird) thing you've ever caught... not the COOLEST thing. Tell your buddy he is a show off.[laugh] Please tell me the whole rig was fully intact and he took up fly fishing. Any place you could buy that combo would probably charge a full $250. Best thing I've ever gotten with a spinner was 300 white bass, a nasty sun burn, and an equivalent 300 itchy mosquito lumps. Yep... I really can't stand your buddy.[laugh] Let me know when you, your buddy, and myself can go fishing because I am really looking forward to watching him reel in the world's largest diamond.
[signature]
You netted the crack en! I bet that was educational. If you had gotten it out of the water you would have had more hickeys then Madonna.
[signature]
Those suckers don't give up. I have hauled them out by sticking a jig in front of them. I noticed that if you bug them enough with an easy target they get pissed, clamp down, and don't let go.
[signature]
A bat while night fishing down by Benson marina... Must of thought my bait was a fly bug and tried to take it on the cast. When my line hit the water he was able to get free so I guess I really didn't catch him, but it was pretty funny.

The wierdest way I caught a fish was reeling him in by hand. I was pretty young but my line got tangled up in the reel pretty bad so I just had to cut it. While I was pulling in my line I still had out in the water the fish hit it and I pulled him in by hand. It was a trout but I can remember what kind, It was years ago but pretty funny as well...

Mike
[signature]
I hooked what I think was a cormorant once. I gotta tell you this, if you ever hook one be mighty careful if you try to unhook it. The damn things will stab straight at your eyes with that sharp beak. I was lucky & only got a gash in my cheek.
[signature]
Hooked a beaver on a fly in the Uintas.
[signature]
When I was a young Boy Scout at camp Steiner (near Mirror Lake) I took another scout fishing at the camp lake. This kid was a disaster and everything he touched turned bad. I put a worm on his hook and cast it out for him and told him to just sit there while I walked up around the bend. A little while later, I came back to see how he was doing. As I approached, I heard a frantic squaking noise and found him sitting there with a huge mess of tangled line. It seems that he had somehow tangled his reel, so he pulled his line in by hand and left it in a pile, on the ground, while he worked on clearing his reel. Meanwhile, a robin saw the nightcrawler sitting there on the ground (still on his hook) and swooped down and grabbed it. The robin took off and went "nuts" flying all around throughout a big pine tree, dragging his line behind. So there he was, sitting on the ground, a mess of tangled line around him that went up and wove throughout the tree, with a trapped frantic robin up near the top. I had helped this kid with his fishing and he caught a bird! I walked over, cut his line and took him back to camp so I could install new line. I don't know what happened to the robin, but it was sure squaking as we walked away.
[signature]
Now that is funny!
[signature]
[quote fishguru73]Did you foul hook the bullfrog or did he eat the frog you were using?[shocked] I've hooked bullfrogs by the hind legs a few times while fishing. I've also used frogs for catfish on limb lines and they can work incredibly well at times. Catching a bullfrog with a small frog for bait would be new to me but anything is possible.[/quote]

It was not foul hooked. Got it right in the mouth. Most of the frogs from this pond were quite small and these were the ones we used as bait. Some of the bullfrogs were really large. When we couldn't catch small frogs for bait, we used normal topwater frogs and the bullfrogs would attack those as well, but not get hooked because they were rigged weedless.
[signature]
i caught a power drill in utah lake a duck a highland and a boat
[signature]