Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Price River / Lower Fish Creek
Has anyone been to lower fish creek recently? I haven't fished it before but was wondering if someone could enlighten me before I go? Thinking sometime soon if water conditions are decent. Feel free to PM. Thanks!
[signature]
I haven't been in years, but my one peace of advice is bring sowbugs. Lots and lots of sowbugs. Also, don't let all the visible trout in the first mile distract you, there's much better fishing further downstream. There should still be some yellow sallies coming off, and the evening caddis hatches in the summer can be unreal. I used to fish The Price all the time when I lived in Springville, but now I'm clear up on the Utah/Idaho border. It's a bit of a drive. That was seriously my favorite trout stream in the whole state though. Hopefully things haven't changed the past few years, but that's what always worked for me.
[signature]
[quote gstott]I haven't been in years, but my one peace of advice is bring sowbugs. Lots and lots of sowbugs. Also, don't let all the visible trout in the first mile distract you, there's much better fishing further downstream. There should still be some yellow sallies coming off, and the evening caddis hatches in the summer can be unreal. I used to fish The Price all the time when I lived in Springville, but now I'm clear up on the Utah/Idaho border. It's a bit of a drive. That was seriously my favorite trout stream in the whole state though. Hopefully things haven't changed the past few years, but that's what always worked for me.[/quote]

gstott,
Unfortunately in 2008 the river had a massive fish kill due to dam construction. 2009 the number of fish decreased again due to low water release and now in 2010 the water release was shut off until the middle of April-more
dead fish. There are some fish in the river. But nothing like you experienced pre 2008. Very Sad. Hopefully, the
river will recover someday.
[signature]
That's too bad to hear. I sometimes had 100+ days there with an average size in the mid teens and some on up into the 20s, and many days I had the whole canyon to myself. It's a shame to hear that's gone now. I guess I definitely won't be making the drive down there anytime soon [frown]
[signature]
I was woundering if thebprice river is fishing better around price area.I go camping down there in ferron and was thinking about hitting the price this yr. Do u know if that area is any good to fish
[signature]
There is not enough water released from the reservoir during the winter months, so the majority of the river is frozen right now.
[signature]
It's frozen over so if you want to go ice fishing lol. They reduce the flow to almost nothing in the winter so that there's more water for the farmers later in the year. Also there was a massive fish kill Q4 of 2012 killed every fish for the first 3 miles. Google the fish kill if you want to know more.
[signature]
Your post heading is asking questions about 2 seoerate sections. Lower fish creek is from scofeild down to the confluence with white river near hyway 6, then it becomes the price river. Most of the posts on this thread are refering to the lower fish creek section most effected by the dam const repairs, however the lower section from colton bridge downstream to helper was not affected as much as white river helped to keep a little more water in it. this lower section recieves little to no pressure but is stocked annually with several thousand browns by the dwr. It can be a little tougher to fish but can reward you with some nice browns. Just take some time to get to know it.You will almost always be fishing it alone.
[signature]
I was thinking from where at first cruises highway 6 to helper.when i drive down there i always want to stop and fish.is there private land there or can u fish there? What would be a good fly to use? Have anyone fished in the canyon? Looks like it would be a great place to throw a fly and this yr a buddy of mine and me are planning on making a trip there.I'm thinking late April but not sure just when.if u have any info or know where i can get more info that will help greatly.thanks for ur reply
[signature]
First of all the land is not private, atleast there is no tresspassing issues. From colton down to helper. However if you are planning a trip in april that section of the river becomes very muddy durring the run off. It would require some timing , as you would want to hit it as the ice melts, but before run off. If you do not hit it just right you are better off waiting until june. As for flies , it is primarily browns , so think streamers and terestials. I would also tie on a repala or flatfish and drift it under the big rocks.
My favorite stretch is the stretch just above ford creek (there is a small waterfall along hyway 6, That is ford creek. It requires some hiking and is easiest accessed from the bridge over the rive on the emma park road. (road to the left as you start down the canyon) There are some nice streches down there that are great for flie casters. And best of all recieves no pressure whatsoever.I will warn you however that is an area that can produce epic days or skunk days. But I know with the number of browns that have been stocked there over the last several years you should find some good ones. let me know how you do.
[signature]