Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Red Fleet walleye
http://wildlife.utah.gov/dwr/news/42-uta...fleet.html

When will you idiots learn?!
[signature]
When I was in elementary scool, we had a few lessons on ecology. We learned about habitats, biospheres, and the water cycle. Therefore, I am qualified to introduce any species into whatever lake I want. [crazy]
[signature]
If the DWR wants to pay for me to stay at a hotel and rent me a boat, I'd be all too willing to go for a week or so and catch all I can! (stock up my freezer with yummy meat!)

Unfortunately, I can't afford even the gas for a one-day trip out there right now. Maybe next year, if they don't treat the water by then.
[signature]
who was the guy that wanted the spear fishing tourneys ??
[signature]
why are you saying (you idiots?) are you saying it was someone on this site that planted the eye's in there? or are you just trying to make you self feel more superior?

i think it was you that planted them in there!![shocked]
[signature]
got to love moore walleyes!!!![Wink][Wink][Wink] and less bottom feading trash fish. perch will show next. just wait and see. same as starvation. once the guys walleyes get skinny he will want to feed them. then it will be a real res.
[signature]
Good article, Rude post, Grow up and try not to be such a jack a--
[signature]
Maybe if the state would quit pandering to the trout and bass guys things like this wouldnt happen. Just like when they said the tigers in pineview would produce better panfish populations... crap. They cant afford to plant rainbows to feed the walleye? How much does 200,000 fingerling rainbows cost vs 20,000 catchables. Do the math. They could have great trout fisheries and great walleye fisheries in one. Wyoming does it, Idaho does it, when is Utah gonna pull its head out of its arse and take a cue from other states. The dwr is just happy if you can fill your stringer with planters and shoot a 2 point buck every year, to hell with quality.
[signature]
PBH is right. Other than tasting good, walleye are a POS uncontrollable species. They are OK where they are stocked and designed to be, but too many 'eye freaks have to have them in their backyard. I guarantee you whoever put those walleye in Red Fleet wasn't a serious walleye fisherman. The DWR will poison Red Fleet before they let the walleye get a hold. For heck sakes, you have Starvation 40 miles away isn't that enough?
[signature]
The problem is the states mentality on the management of the fish itself. We live in a mountain state where the only native species you can catch on a regular basis is cutthroats. There are NO native species to a resivior. Every other fish you chase has been planted for the recreation of people. Whether it be brookies, browns, rainbows, crappie, ect. And yes, starvation is only 40 miles away from red fleet and i live 12 miles from Willard. I used to love pounding monster walleye out of Yuba. But the state is so worried about a bluegill and trout population in one lake they ignore the trophy walleye fishery they have done nothing to restore. A few years of bad spawn at willard has created a serious situation as there is next to no age class under 19". And yet they plant thousands more wipers.

Am I a walleye freak... Yeah, I am. I love fishing for a fish that is the top predator in any water body it exists in and yet is so picky on what presentation you throw at it. And what is the difference in a walleye freak wanting walleye fishing close to home vs a trout freak wanting a blue ribbon stream in their back yard? I see none. I am in no way saying that illegally planting fish is in any way acceptible(somebody dump em in pineview![sly]) . But why is it ok to have say smallies and rainbows in every other lake and not to have a few walleye mixed in somewhere?

I know of a few people that dont fish for walleye but dont complain one little bit when they hook up on one. But now even at starvation they are planting thousands of trout in there because people complain they werent catching any fish out of it. Put the lid back on the powerbait and try some different techniques, not every fish in every lake is going to hit popgear and a teaser.
[signature]
i like your veiw on it. [Wink] and this res had quaga muscles..... hwy would they pay to rotanone the res??? if anything is gona save that place for any fish to be chased it has to be completely drained and sit dry for some time. its a lost caulse so let the eyes have it.... [:p]
[signature]
Yeah, no kidding. Instead of saying "holy cow, we have a lake that is already producing 6 pound walleye with good spawn potential and age class, lets run with it..." they say " OH MY GOD, THEY ARE GOING TO RUIN THE PREDATOR (trout) PREY(smaller trout) RATIO! CATCH AND KILL!!" I hope they catch the idiots that planted trout in starvation, I mean, dont they have strawberry thats like only 40 miles away![shocked]
[signature]
Waste of money and time to treat it. let it go until it crashes and then just leave it all together. If they treat it, it will only be a short time until they are illegaly planted again. The only way to get the message to the bucket bioligists is to take a lazifare approach.
The way to react to Red Fleet is to leave it completely. No planting or stocking of anything. No trout, let the walleyes and quagga's have it. Close the state park, let the launch ramp deteroriate, let the place go. Save the money and spend it somewhere else.
[signature]
[font "Courier New"][#0000bf][size 3]If you live only 12 miles from Willard, Starvation is NOT 40 miles away. Try more like 140.
Though that's much closer than Red Fleet which is over 200 miles (215 from my house, in Layton).

But I guess if distance doesn't matter to you, either one should be just fine for Walleye. Personally, I barely have the money for gas to get to Willard, lately. Especially if I gotta pay an extra $16 just go to night fishing (which is when Walleye is mostly active, I've been told).
[/size][/#0000bf][/font]
[signature]
Im not saying I live 40 miles from starvation, just replying to the other post[crazy]. And distance does matter, I do still work for a living and 280 mile round trips for a few fish starts to put a hurt on the wallet[:/]. I wish I could go alot but my starvation trip are to far and few between. I can go out to willard and pretty much catch walleye at will this time of year for dinner, but I still like to put different techniques to use on other lakes that just arent possible out at willard.

And you shouldnt have to pay to night fish at willard. With your state parks pass they wont hassle ya. I night fish out there quite a bit durring the summer and stay till 1 or 2 in the morning with my pass. If your not camping or parked in a camp site they will leave you alone. I know what the guy tells you on the phone, but they have to tell you whats in the rule book. But its a different story on what they enforce. The walleye arent any more active at night than any other fish. They just tend to feed shallow up next to the bank which congragates them and makes em easier to target. But I regularly fish for them in as shallow as 2 ft and as deep as 30ft during the brightest part of the day, just depends on what theyre eating. Use your self a slipbobber setup(with light stick) with a glow bead and a 2 hook harness with a crawler right next to the rocks at night, that has worked well in the past. The crappie and wiper seem to like it as well. [Wink]
[signature]
Walleye are an uncontrollable species? Where do you get that? Trout fishing handbook?
Aren't there thousands of lakes in Canada and the midwest where Walleye are managed? Seems to me that most of the lakes in Canada manage themselves. Many don't even have roads to them, yet they have produced Walleye for hundreds of years.
[signature]
It sounds like you've got it down! Does this work for much of the year or only this time of year?
[signature]
ya they have trout 40 miles away. they have them 15 miles away at fg. but the trout guys want them all to be trout becaulse they suck chese off the bottom. they dont know how to jig troll a harness or lindy. its to mutch work to catch them for the trout lovers. so they dont like us walleye lovers.[Smile]
[signature]
Through out the summer months is best. It will probably be slower with the numbers down, but back when the population was good... I used to go off the south dike but that doesent seem to be as productive this year. If your on the shore, I would say anywhere from the south marina to the feed lot. Last year I pulled planerboards with lights on em right next to the rocks at night in that area and did well on the eyes. But use the glow beads and hit em with a light to keep em charged, that will increase your stikes i found.
[signature]
[font "Courier New"][#0000bf][size 3]Ohhh, yeah, I read more carefully this time. Sowwy! (but it's still 77miles/2 hour drive between Red Fleet & Starvation on the shortest route, according to Google Maps).

The Willard manager told me I could go on the dirt road north of the gate, and fish on the dike for free. With all the rocks and stuff, that would still be a good place for Walleye (and catfish). In fact, I'm wanting to try it sometime later this month!
[/size][/#0000bf][/font]
[signature]