Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bear Lake 8/8
Went to Bear Lake with BLM yesterday. The business at hand was to put on a clinic of my superior god-like fish catching abitilies. I must admit, I brought only my C game since, to see me with my A game has broken even the most hardend of anglers. Not knowing BLM, I didn't want to subject him the inevitable mental trauma of seeing a true fish-god in action and the subsequent feelings of inadaquacy that follow. He's a senior citizen and I didn't want to cause him any harm. He's got a family you know. The "Boomerang" is a fantastic boat, more stable than most big aluminums I've been on with plenty of room. It tends to have a little more roll in a quartering sea than wider fiberglass boats, but that is to be expected since it's so lite. The cockpit is set up for fishing and the ergonomics are perfect with the addition of the aft fishfinder. As for the fishing, lets just say, it was....oh no, my computer is acting up and I will have to send this before I can finish.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]I must admit, a day later, I'm still awe stuck after being in the presence of a true fishing god. It was an experience I'll always remember...[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]I knew I was in for a treat as the IFG walked up the driveway in the pre-morning dark. You could see a bright light surrounding him, lighting up all he came near. Unfortunately, that made it a little difficult on the ride up because I couldn't see out the truck to drive. I asked him to turn it off but he didn't know how. I'm glad the sun was up soon because in the light you can't see it.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]As we started out the marina channel, I think he was trying to show off a little and got a little carried away. He decided to do a "little water parting" and parted it too much which left the boat high and dry. C'mon on IFG, put the water back! I told the state park ranger we were sorry and wouldn't do it again.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]We fished the west side to start the day off. IFG show me how he could catch fish by merely raising a staff. Actually the staff was my rod. I was up in the bow doing something and I heard the ice fishing god. I turned and he had my fishing rod raised above his head and proclaimed "my son, you have a fish!" I took the rod from his had and I did indeed have a fish on. Truly impressive! I asked him to do it again but he said something about saving his energy for later or something... It was pretty cool though![/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]We fished the west side for a few hours and not even the ice fishing god could convince the fish to bite. We ended up with 2 pup macks and a pencil cutthroat. IFG said he worked better miracles on ice and he was actually a little scared of melted ice. I told him I wouldn't tell anyone.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]I did find out one thing about fish gods though. Did you know that fish gods don't eat regular food? They live on peptobismo and water. I gladly offer portions of my meager meals to him but he politely refused as he drank the pink liquid. I'll have to reconsider my desires to be a fish god. I've only had pepto a few times and everytime it tasted like crap. I don't think I could live on it but who am I to question the actions of a god?[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]We headed over to the east side and checked it out but alas there were no fish to be caught on either jig or down rigger. I think the westside fish had put the message out that the ice fishing god was on the lake and that they better hide and hide good or they'd be food of the gods! They did a good job of hiding. [/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]We shot back over to the rockpile and found lots of fish. we trolled downriggers in the 40 ft range but could not invoke the fish to bite. There were lots of fish though and plenty of big mark. It was fun trolling through the maze of boats and jet skis but IFG kept us protected and we avoid any problems.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]The only real complaint I have about fishing with a god is this. He needs to find some way to control that glow. By the end of the day I had a heck of a sunburnt face...[/size][/font]
[signature]
I would have loved to have been a "fly on the wall" on that boat. I have a hunch there was little teaching going on from either party -- whom would have been the student? If you two only managed three puny fish, it had to be one extremely slow day at Bear Lake!
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Hey, Kent! I was in the presence of a god. You don't take that lightly and you sure as hell don't tell them what to do! They turn you to salt or something...[/size][/font]
[signature]
I seen you boyz driving down university hill on your way home,I yelled and honked but there was a massive glare coming from your way.I thought it was the shine off the "BOOMERANG" but must have been that glow from the IFG!![Wink][Wink]"BIG FISH RULE"M.H.
[signature]
I was the student most of the time. I came away with a deep understanding of different kitchen remodeling techniques and all the good buffets to hit in Vegas. I think BLM must be at least be a fishing demi-god, because I find myself with a bit of a sunburn also. The parting of the waters was no problem for an experienced god, like me.......adding water.........that is beyond even my powers. As far as the water/pepto diet, it's all the rage among gods, especially ones with food poisoning. The fishing wasn't great but the company was outstanding (a little butt kissing of the moderator) and I look forward to doing again. Maybe the next time the water will be solid or at least my insides will be. The turing to salt thing, we don't do that anymore. We have enough salt out here. It's now a nice slice of Veal, breaded and done Picatta style, cause even god himself couldn't find a decent Italian resturant north of SLC.
[signature]
Kent,

The only thing BLM learned from me were words that would get his mouth washed out with soap when I missed a fish.
[signature]
You know come to think of it, I was surprised to see a glow on the east yesterday, in addition to the usual one on the west. Must have been these two fishermen returning from a day of fishing at Bear Lake.
[signature]
[cool][font "Arial"][red][size 2] Man I don't know if I should be putting on my shades or my Boots. LOL. You guys should write a book, BLM meets the IcefishingGod. Sounds like a best seller to me. Sounds like you guys had a great time anyway. [/size][/red][/font]

[font "Arial"][#ff0000][size 2] AFDan52[/size][/#ff0000][/font]
[signature]
Hey Dan, I think the boot idea is the best one but what are fishermen suppose to talk about(or lie about) when the catching is slow. They did a much better job than I could have, I just would not make an report and if I did,it sure would not have been so entertaining.

IFG & BLM, Thanks for the report guys, you sure know how to put a new twist on an old story. WH2
[signature]
[crazy][font "Arial"][red][size 2] I got the say that this is the crazyest bunch I have ever been involved with, but I wouldn't have it any other way. You got to love it Baby.[/size][/red][/font]

[font "Arial"][#ff0000][size 2] AFDan52[/size][/#ff0000][/font]
[signature]
Here is a report from the DWR site. Some guys are either great fishermen, lucky or both. I have put in many a trip to Bear Lake and I'm still trying to catch my first fish over 10 pounds, and the guy wants tips!

"Bear Lake
Date: August 5 & 7
Name: Clair Baldwin, [url "mailto:jamesbaldwin4862@msn.com"][#0000ff]jamesbaldwin4862@msn.com[/#0000ff][/url]

Hi Tom, I fished Bear Lake for the first time this week. I used a jointed Rapala, large size, rainbow pattern. I trolled from Cisco beach area to North Eden. On the 5th had four hits and caught an awsome 28" 18lb laker. Only had time to fish 3 hours. On the 7th caught two nice cuts, one 20" and the other 23". I saw lots of fish right on the bottom between 70 and 114 feet. I fished at 85 ft 3-4 mph with downrigger. If anyone has tips to help. HELP! — Thanks Clair"
[signature]
I don't know but I have caught a number of Mac's at 28" and I highly doubt it came in at 18#. I guess anything is possible though.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]I saw that too and had to chuckle. Bear Lack Mackinaw have a tendency to be long and lean and not shaped like footballs. Here's a pic of RipNLip's 14# fish from last year and I guarantee it well over 28". The guy may be right but I'd like to see it.[/size][/font] [center][Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=350;]
[/center]
[signature]
Look at it this way, using that math: 28" = 18#s, ours were 18" = 11#s. I caught an 11 pound Mack out of Bear Lake, on my first try. Who's your fishing God baby! And you think I'm full of S....Poopo. I like that guy. I think we might be related. Did I tell you about my 10 pound Perch? I hooked it on a Musky.
[signature]
It does seem just a bit far fetched doesn't it?
[signature]
I do believe that is one of the most beautiful fish i have ever seen![Smile]

I also beleive that this is the funniest thread Ive ever read![laugh][laugh][Smile][Smile][sly][sly]
I believe that I must fish this bear lake soon.(after all ive been going up there ever since I was 10 and have never tried to fish this water).

I also believe that I must fish with this IceFishingGod as he seems to be quite the company![cool]

I also beleive that I will be asking BLM this fall or winter. Whenever the mack's get active at bearlake to take me fishing out there.

Just a couple of things I believe![angelic][sly][Smile][Wink][cool]
[signature]
[#f818ff][size 4]I too believe many things, but one of them is I've got to get bigger boots!!!!!!!!!![/size][/#f818ff]
[signature]
I believe you'll definitely need bigger and nice and warm boots if your gonna go ice fishing this year. [Wink]
[signature]