Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Southbbound Key West fishing report
July 6th, 2010
Fishing is still going strong in the Key West Waters. The reef action has been excellent with good catches of Yellow Tail Snapper along the outer edge as well as some Grouper. We’ve been catching our limit or close to it most days. I would expect the Yellow Tails to keep biting until at least the end of the month unless conditions change drastically.
Shark fishing has been great in the shallows. Sharks in the 60-100 lb range have been active and biting well when the current is running. Current is very important to shark fishing. They hunt by smell, so anytime you have tide or current running is good. Avoid the slack water time of day. If nothing is moving, they can’t find you.
The trolling offshore has gotten better, but the Dolphin fishing still isn’t what it should be. There have been a lot of big Bonitos around. They are a member of the tuna family, but unfortunately not a good eating member of the clan. We mostly release them or keep a few for bait. They’re very bloody so they make excellent shark bait and Snappers and Groupers live it too!
Wahoo are a natural predator of Bonitos and with the concentration of Bonitos we’re starting to see some Wahoo show up. We don’t get a lot of Wahoo in the summer, but if the food, (Bonitos) is present, there will always be a few around. The two biggest Wahoo I’ve ever caught on the Southbound, 74 &76 lbs, were this time of year. I expect to see a few big one caught in the next week or two.
The weather has been very cooperative lately. We’ve had the usual summer breeze and some intermittent cloud cover keeping it very comfortable offshore. Early June was a Scorcher, but generally speaking, the last week or so has been beautiful. Enough breeze to keep it comfortable, but not so much that it’s rough. It’s a great time to go fishing in Key West

OIL UPDATE: There is NO oil in the water around Key West
[signature]