Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lake Erie Asian Carp

By Jim Lynch, The Detroit News

For the past year, most horror stories about what could happen if the Great Lakes are invaded by the Asian carp have revolved around the idea of the invasive fish reaching Lake Michigan. This week, however, a new nightmare scenario is getting consideration.

The discovery of spawning Asian carp in parts of the Wabash River in Indiana has ignited new calls for action in dealing with the invasive species this week.

A major flooding incident could allow the carp to move from the Wabash River to the Maumee River, federal officials said.

From there the invasive carp could reach Lake Erie.

And that's one more headache fishermen like John Giszczak don't need.

The 52-year-old owner of Stray Cat Charter Fishing hunts walleye and perch out of the Luna Pier Harbor Club and already contends with a growing Lake Erie algae problem that has gotten steadily worse in recent years.

"I suspect if they get out here in any real numbers and populate, our business could be in real trouble," he said.

"And a lot of small towns around here rely on tourism for their summer economy. It would have a big impact on that tourism. It would affect all of us."

A week ago, researchers monitoring the Asian carp's approach to Lake Michigan discovered one of the fish in Chicago's Lake Calumet, well beyond an electric barrier designed to stop the species from spreading.

As a result, elected officials from many Great Lakes states are backing the Permanent Prevention of Asian Carp Act introduced Wednesday that calls for a barrier between the Mississippi River basin and the Great Lakes.

News of the carp's presence in the Wabash River heightened that support in many cases Thursday.

"We must do everything we can to prevent Asian carp from entering the Great Lakes," said Michigan Gov. Jennifer Granholm in a press release Thursday.

"This includes urgent action to create a permanent barrier separating the Mississippi River and Great Lakes watersheds. In the meantime, we must use every available tool at our disposal to protect the Great Lakes, including closing the locks, expanding DNA testing and applying additional rotenone as necessary."

Asian carp tend to thrive in shallow waters that are rich in nutrients, and that's exactly what Lake Erie has to offer, something that worries Sandy Bihn.

"It would be devastating, absolutely devastating if the carp reached Lake Erie," said Bihn, executive director of the Western Lake Erie Waterkeeper Association.

"It's extremely scary to think of us having the same problem here that they have in the Mississippi River. It would be devastating for the economy and for all of the states around the lake."
[signature]
I saw that artical last week. just 6 miles away from lake michigan and well passed the electric bearior...

trouthfuly I dont understand invisible fences,

I see dogs and cats run right pass them and then can never get back in to the yard.... wouldnt that be the same with a fish?
[signature]
You would think one of the fish farms that was raising these fish would set up a mobile cannery and export the fish to where ever they think of them as a delicacy , and make some money off them .
[signature]
I'd bet a dollar to a dozen donuts that if a man walked up to any of those states and applied for a comercial license to target carp you would be lucky to get hit in the dairiare by the door on your way out before they make you invest half million dollars before the deny you a permit....

sorry to sound so negitive, but as far as I can see, nothing is being done... and quite frankly, I dont need anything on them freighters comming up here with trash from around the world. "I do mean trash because that is where it ends up in 3 months"
[signature]
Isn't that the truth , If a guy has a way of making one dollar , the government can figure a way to tax two dollars out of it [Image: happy.gif].
[signature]