Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Auto repairs
Ok all you mechanics out there I need a little help. I had to replace a thermostat in a 1981 Buick Century 3.8 L V6. I got it all put back together and now I have a coolant leak. Looks like it is coming from the housing. Now I did use some RTV goop between the gasket and the housing. Is there something I am missing here?
[signature]
I am not a mechanic, but I do maintain my own. If I were you I would take the housing back off, clean the mating surfaces real good, getting the old gasket material off. Use some high temp gasket sealant and a new gasket.
And lastly, torque the two bolts to the manufacture spec.
This should do it.
Then go fish'n
[signature]
Thanks I will do that. Now another question with this, would I put the sealant between both sections of housing or just one? ie outer housing and gasket and then between the gasket and motor block?
[signature]
It should be on the instuctions of the sealant. I would apply a THIN coat on both sides. I prefer to use the "copper" type of sealant. It comes in either a tube or spray. (I like the spray.[Wink])
Hope this helps..good luck!
[signature]
Thanks for your help. Looks like the gasket was the problem. It kept sliding out of place. It is fixed now and works. Now it is time to fish![cool]
[signature]