Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need a little help
My folks own a lake house in Pentwater, Michigan...which is just a mile inland of Lake Michigan. Pentwater lake is connected to Lake Michigan. Every summer I come up to this lake and try to fish it for everything but the kitchen sink. I have caught walleye, northern pike, small mouth, large mouth, perch and sunfish. There is also massive gar in this lake (which I have never been able to catch). Up until about 5 years ago, I have not been able to catch any of the fish labeled above. The bass in this lake have completely disappeared, or just do not bite on anything that has worked in the past. (powerbait worms, spinners, night crawlers). The same goes for Pike...I haven't seen one in nearly 3 to 4 years.

I guess my question is, what do you suggest I try out to catch these fish!!?? It has become quite a downer...because the drive up here is becoming longer and longer every year because these fish aren't biting on a thing!! Thanks guys...
[signature]
When the bite is extremely tough... live bait is always the best option.

Throw out some larger minnows in the weeds and you should be able to get Pike to hit.
[signature]

You can try a floating rapala , and work the weed pockets. Cast it into the pockets and pop it like a wounded minow. If there is a hungry game fish in the area it will take this bait. Early morning or right before dark. Good luck.....[fishon][fishon]
[signature]
Hello MI-Fisherman-

I would try a little cleo, possibly in the blue/silver color pattern. Look for weed beds, and rocky shoals which bass and smaller pike tend to prefer.

Also remember that pike tend to not like the warmer water. Depending on when you go, if it's warm they may be deep.

Pike still like the classic spoons! I would also try some deeper trolling.

Also try jigging where there are drop-offs. When the barometric pressure drops, I have had some really good success catching smallies on a jig and a leech/worm/minnow.

Another thing to take into consideration is if there is any kind of hatch happening, such as may flies or grubs (etc.) If you notice that happening, go through your tackle box and try to mimic what is hatching.

I have had some success with this during a hatch using a mepps.

Hope this helps and good luck!
[signature]
when fishin id tough try live bait, and try to catch it from the lake your fishing.bluegills work real nice for bass, pike, and waleye.if you can find suckers even better
[signature]