Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pontoon Speed
Hi everyone, I'm buying a 24' pontoon boat and it's mainly going to be a party barge but many of us want to use it for ski's, tubes, etc. So I want to find out how I can make it as fast as possible. No motor on it currently, in the market for one.
[signature]
Just look at the metal plate that has the recommended capacities of the boat. It should have a maximum HP rating on there. Just come as close to that as you can and your should have no problems pulling a skier or tube.
[signature]
What is the usual amount for a 24' pontoon boat??
[signature]
Not really sure but my parents have a 20' and i think its max is 75hp so im thinking maybe around 115 or maybe even 150 depending on how it is built and what its rated for. Look for that tag on your boat. they are generally found right by the controls somewhere.
[signature]
the older pontoons have a low hp rating.they were worried about the wind getting under the deck and flipping them over.i have seen this happen out on the sound,with large waves and good winds.sincethen they have changed the design and now can go bigger hp,some even thave inboards.the new ones are between 150 and 200
[signature]
Interesting fact about the tipping. I'm in the dreaming stage right now. One of the boats I'm thinking of buying in the next year or two is a 19 foot pontoon. I see the one I'm interested in can come with up to a 40 hp outboard. However a larger 25 footer is available with a 200 hp motor. I don't think you would have any issue getting a skier up with that kind of power.
[signature]