Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New to Channel Catfish
Where is the best place on a river to throw a cast out for catfish? Where do they tend to be in rivers? Specifically the chattahoochee. Also, should different bait be used when fishing in a lake or river for catfish? Thanks
[signature]
Try logjams and anywhere the current changes. That should help you get some nice eating fish. My largest forktail (I'm new to this also, so my largest is only about 6-8 pounds) came from fishing a deep hole in the river.

Holes are my favorite to fish because you can sink worms down without worrying about your line being stripped and they have always held a lot of promise for me.

To find deep river water, look for water that has a darker shade. Mark your anchor in yards and see how far it goes if it's difficult to tell. The shores in deeper areas genererally tend to be sheer rock walls intead of gradual slopes.

I caught mine on chicken liver. The stuff is hard to keep on a hook, unless you get a wire-gaurd ("liver hook"). They're exensive, so you can try other methods. My grandpa used to but the liver in nylon sacks from cut panty hose.

Blood baits might not last long in a river's current, but they will act like chum.

The best bait is fresh cut bait. It stays on, it's natuaral, it has blood, etc. The first time I went catfishing, my cousin got a carp in his baitcasting net. We cut the fish up (it was about 15 lbs, but why throw back an invasive species?) into pieces and let the current take pour lines. Unfortunately, I was new to catfishing (I was about 10) and my hook sets were terrible. The hits we got must have been from large cats because the rods bounced about 2 feet with each eat.

I have no idea how to fish for whiskers in lakes though. I'd love to hear what ideas come up. Best of luck to you!
[signature]
Yea i always use chicken liver when catfishing. It works great for me. Also I'm also fishing off the bank so how do i find the holes and what about near a dam? Thanks
[signature]
I have been fishing for catfish for about the greater part of my life . I have caught endless numbers in the river were I grew up. I have come to learn that when fishing in the hot summer months , you have to fish current changes. these are prime cat holding spots . I look for large rocks and fish them from the sides. This is best because you can cover both sides and alot of area.I start out with cut bait on one line nightcrawlers on another and dip bait on a third. give them all a chance and I'm sure one will work. Then adjust your bait acordingly. rember don't stay in one spot to long.. That's why rivers are great there's lots of spots. Good luck [fishin][fishin]
[signature]
In Fisherman has had a couple episodes targetting cats - both from shore, small boat in rivers, as well as drifting and fishing the tailwaters below a dam.

http://www.in-fisherman.com/content/catfish-tailwaters

I'll attach a cheesy drawing showing the currents and structure common around a dam.

I've been wanting to give it a try below Cutler dam here in N. Utah. Seems along the Bear River anyway - where there is a sharp bend in the river, tends to be deeper pools. Seek places where waters come together or where waters narrow - more food flowing in.

I've done ok pulling in some little cats, but am still waiting to land a good 5+ pounder. Not to mention that 30# cat I've got heavy line/rod waiting for! (course that's the one I'll hook on the light tackle!)
So any suggestions how to seek bigger cats, and avoid the little dinks that steal my worms and just keep me rebaiting!
[signature]
Fish early in the year before the spawn, and use BIG bait. If you can use cut bait go big, and use a big hook. I have a two pole permit. I normally have a silver dollar sized chunk of cut bait on one and a half of a 10" trout on the other. Ron
[signature]