Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jarbidge area
I am starting to look into a future trip into the Jarbidge Area. Any one been there lately? How is the access? I will be driving a Astro Van with all wheel drive and pulling a tent trailer. All info is appreciated. Thanks![cool]
[signature]
Hopefully someone here can help you but I'll give my 2 cents worth as I've been twice. Most of the long dirt road north from I-80 is fine for any vehicle. The last bit up to about 10,000ft and then down to Jarbidge it's nice to have an extra inch or 2 of clearance but still possible in any vehicle when I did it last. They warn about a steep grade that trailers aren't recommended on the down hill to Jarbidge. I didn't take a trailer but remember thinking my little Aliner trailer ( had 12 inch clearance, brakes, abt 12 ft and only 1000 lbs) would have handled it fine. Took it on far worse many times. A trailer will slow you down considerable. If you don't want to take it down the steep grade you could camp on the mountaintop. It's beautiful uncrowded forrest and drive down to fish and explore. There are 2 or 3 commercial buildings in town. An Inn and restaurant and the tiniest store you'll ever step into (50 sf tops). You could do a search and call them or the Jarbidge Forest District office. Here's a link with the sign I recall seeing and info on the various routes http://www.nevada-landmarks.com/el/jarbidge-intro.htm

And be sure to click on the Link at the bottom of that page called Trip To Jarbidge as it has several pages with descriptions and photos for road and area.
[signature]
Thanks I will check it out. I was looking at the paved road north of Elko 225. Looks like take that to the dirt road just south of the forest and then it would be another 21 miles into the area on dirt roads.
[signature]
I've only taken the Deeth exit (access # 2 described) because it's the shortest from Utah. I would also go with the route through Elko if you bring a trailor. Good Luck if you go and be sure to post a few pics.
[signature]
WOW!!!! just checked out that website. 15% grades in places? My tent trailer is a coleman and weighs 2000 lbs empty. I might be able to cross that pass. The norhern route looks best and safest. Second route would be north of Elko. I will have to look at this closer.[cool]
[signature]
If your trailer doesn't have brakes or your tow vehicle can't get the trailer up Parleys Canyon at 55 mph I wouldn't advise the first 2 routes. The picture there shows the East Fork of the Jarbidge in the " inaccessable canyon" on that third route. I tried to locate that Fork of the Jarbidge briefly one morning only to give up and turn around. At least I know who to find that challenge the next trip. I think it is suppose to have a larger population of bull trout the the main river. I never caught any so I hope you can show me up with some pics.
[signature]
Yes, I will definately see what I can do. Right now most of my vacaton tme for this year is taken up so looking at next year. Unless something else happens.[cool]
[signature]