Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
backpacking on the boulders?
I'm taking a small group of varsity scouts onto the Boulder Mountains for a backpacking/fishing trip next week. We'll be backpacking for about 3 days. Are there any "must see" scenic spots or remote lakes that you all think would be fun to hike into? These guys are use to hiking a lot, and our travel plans are very flexible. If we could get into some fish, see some elk/deer and not get eaten by skeeters, I'm sure the boys would love it. I've spent a little time in the area, so any help and/or suggestions are welcome and appreciated, especially if there are areas we can pack back into and stay into.

Thanks,

copple2
[signature]
Do the blind loop or even better let them plan the trip. Skeeters are eating people this year so be prepared.
[signature]
hedgesd,

where does the blind trail start? What road is best to come in on to get to where it starts? Thanks.

copple2
[signature]
Have you even looked at a map. Your a scout master thinking about going to boulder with kids and you don't have a clue. Is this what they teach scouts now?
[signature]
What is the point of getting all mad at the guy? Chill out and create drama somewhere else.
As for the post, Go through Torrey and turn right on highway 12. A few miles up the road just past the Teasdale turn off take the great western trail. Follow the signs after that. Probably 10 or so miles up.
[signature]
T-sho, thanks for being helpful. Much appreciated. I have plenty of maps I'll match this up with.

As for hedgesd, i appreciate your initial suggestion, but if you don't want to offer any other positive suggestions, keep them to yourself. The kids I serve with hike over 70 miles per year and are looking forward to a new location they've never been to before.

Thanks again,

copple2
[signature]
Copple, go prepared for a lot of mosquitoes!!!! They are really bad this year
[signature]
[quote T-sho]What is the point of getting all mad at the guy? Chill out and create drama somewhere else.
As for the post, Go through Torrey and turn right on highway 12. A few miles up the road just past the Teasdale turn off take the great western trail. Follow the signs after that. Probably 10 or so miles up.[/quote]
Chill out and create drama elsewhere? You serious? 3 days of scouts backpacking and the guy has no knowledge of the these mountains and terrain? Would you want scoutmaster leading your kid around unfamiliar mountains for 3 days?
[signature]
I simply asked a question to a scout master planning a trip on short notice. I guess things have changed since I became an Eagle scout.

http://www.trails.com/tcatalog_trail.asp...HGS400-066
[signature]
I've been a scoutmaster for over 10 years and have never had a lost or injured scout, so I'm probably a big enough boy to manage in a new area. We've only been planning the trip for 5 months and was looking for any last minute feedback. I spend over 50 days a year in the mountains, hiking, camping, fishing and hunting...I'm sure we'll manage just fine. Feel free to continue your arm-chair lectures for those who want to be negative. Thanks for the positive feedback from those who are answering the original post questions.

copple2
[signature]
[quote copple2]We've only been planning the trip for 5 months [/quote]

I'm kind of with Hedges. If you've been planning for 5 months, what's up with the questions on multiple different fishing forum sites? Sounds to me like you're not quite "prepared".

I think at this point, my recommendation would be to stick with what you've planned for the last 5 months. Why deviate at the last minute? That's typically when problems happen.

So, what is it that you originally planned? If you were a bit more specific with what you had in mind, I'm sure the replies would be more specific with suggestions. "hiking the Boulder" certainly isn't very specific.
[signature]