Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Big Battery Float Tube Setup
[cool][#0000ff]As I have posted, I have been experimenting with different motor mount frame designs for my recently "powered" Fat Cat. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I originally bought and installed a small 33 amp/hour battery for the Endura 30 motor and fabbed a simple frame and motor mount. Worked fine. Then I added a couple of boat bumpers under the rear section of my tube, under the open compartment, to provide more floatation for a heavier battery...and I tried my 80 amp/hour series 24 battery. It also worked fine...leaving my tube sitting almost perfectly horizontal on the water with both battery and motor installed.[/#0000ff]

[#0000ff]This past week I codgertated on how to be able to utilize the big series 27 battery I already had. It puts out over 100 amp/hours but weighs in at over 50 pounds. It was a tough fit to get it inside the limited space behind the seat with the frame/mount I originally designed. So...I redesigned the frame and added two bigger boat bumpers...5" X 22". [/#0000ff]

[#0000ff]Yesterday I tried out the new setup for the first time on Utah Lake. Success. Again, the tube floats almost perfectly horizontal with both battery and motor attached. And the additional floatation more than offsets the added weight of the big battery. Even with my "ample" body weight and all the rods, tackle, sonar and small battery I take out I still floated high and had no problems with mobility by fin power alone. In fact, I actually did not use the motor much at all on that trip.[/#0000ff]

[#0000ff]In the attached pictures you can see that my new frame is lower profile and designed to allow installation of any size battery...up to about 18" wide. The series 27 battery box is only about 16" so it fit with room to spare.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Looks very good TD. I am glad there are now some safe deigns out there that make it possible to motorize a float tube. I still need a bigger float tube for me but my toon is still going strong.
[signature]
Looks nice and clean. Good job !

Peter
[signature]
Looks good! Nice solid, clean, and simple.

What is your battery base made from? Does it flex much in the middle if you put a smaller battery box in?
[signature]
Wouldn't a regular battery box be like putting a bowl in the water (or even a boat)?
I would think that could be a plus. I mean I know the battery could sink a box easy, but would it be zero buoyancy sitting in the back of a tube? Plus keep the battery a little drier. Splashing water washing that acid on the top.
A nice box with a lid...that is just my thoughts.
[signature]
Nice design. I have been thinking of adding a couple of good sized ones to the toon rack to help with bouancy.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]The cross piece is the bottom of a plastic stack tray that I cut to shape with my multi-tool. Not a lot of strength and support but it is supported in the middle by the two boat bumpers running down between the side tubes on the frame. Just about level across the top. It was an experiment and I am looking for something sturdier for the future. Don't want to go as heavy as diamond plate. All I need is a bit of extra containment and support for the base. The battery is in a battery box. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The combination of friction, side squeeze, a PFD shoved down in the front and forward gravity all combine to hold the battery rock solid. I also tried it with the smaller series 24 battery and it actually fits between the two side PVC tubes and rides well. The plastic on the stack tray is flexible vinyl and is not easily damaged or cracked.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have some pieces of fairly sturdy 1/2" thick closed cell foam that I may try next. Heck, even plywood would work. It gets wet back there but plywood is cheap if it starts to warp.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[quote flygoddess]Wouldn't a regular battery box be like putting a bowl in the water (or even a boat)?
I would think that could be a plus. I mean I know the battery could sink a box easy, but would it be zero buoyancy sitting in the back of a tube? Plus keep the battery a little drier. Splashing water washing that acid on the top.
A nice box with a lid...that is just my thoughts.[/quote]

[cool][#0000ff]With the extra buoyancy of the boat bumpers there is really no ADDITIONAL water in that compartment. Yeah, it gets wet, but never more than a couple of inches...even at high tide. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The open top battery box works fine for me. [/#0000ff][#0000ff]There is no "splashing water" and no acid. No need for any more exotic engineering.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
cool.
I don't know what is exotic about a lid though[cool]
Like I said, I prefer a lid...no chance for fumes, sparks, or spills
I have been using a battery quite a few years though...like close to 1/4 of a century[Wink]
[signature]
so using batteries since you were like what.. since you were a toddler?? [sly]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
Well, I did grow up with the Snake River as a back yard!!!![laugh][laugh][laugh]
[signature]
I was glad I had a lid on mine when a storm blew up on Twin. It got rough enough that I had some serious splashes hitting me. Everything else got wet!
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]The lid came with the battery box. I use it but I like to cause Joni some concern about my welfare. She gets frustrated when she can't find something to nag me about. I just don't leave it on to take pictures.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
What? My answer was to cpierce
Medication time there buddy[cool]
speaking of lids, that was A bit over the top[crazy]
[signature]