Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
florida keys flats and backcountry
Capt. Barry Hoffman's fishing report <br>for the Upper Keys and Florida Bay flats and backcountry. <br>October 30th, 2001<br><br> Our first cold front arrived late last week, dropping water temperatures a bit in the process. With it, the the wind increased as well. Bonefishing is on the upswing. The cooler water brought some very large fish up onto the flats. The strong breeze helped to move the water across the flats, encouraging the fish to feed. Bonefish can move fast under these conditions. It's important to listen closely to your guide and know where your fly is at all times. Water hauling is one of the most essential casts you can make due to the speed at which the fish move. Watch your fly and if your guide says ten feet left, take one cast and put it ten feet left. I couldn't tell you how many fish we've hooked over the years which the angler never saw the fish. Listening well, and speed and accuracy of the cast is most important. This time of the year I'll use a Clouser pattern in a green/white or tan/white combination. Spin fisherman need a bit of accuracy as well when the wind is blowing. I've not been out into the backcountry much this week. The wind was blowing 20 or more so I stuck to bonefishing. Permit action slowed a bit with the arrival of the cold front. However, If we get a still day and the water is able to warm a bit, I suspect we'll get our chances at them again. For the action minded, the seatrout should begin to move into the larger channels as the water cools. Focus on the falling tides as the warm water drains from the surrounding flats and you may find redfish, snook or tarpon in search of a meal. On Tuesday and Wednesday I fished with Pink Logan and Russel Morgan in the George Bush Bonefish Tournament. We worked hard and got our shots in during both days, but most of our casts were just off the mark. We hooked three bonefish, landing one and had two permit eat, catching one that was 19 pounds. During the first day of the cold front I fished Biscayne Bay with a good friend a client, Mike Smith. With a stiff wind out of the North, we searched for bonefish on the falling tide. It was tough early in the day. The cloud cover made finding the fish a bit difficult. We had a fair amount of shots at big tailing fish, but the wind increased to near 20 and made fly fishing difficult. As the water fell we had more shots and hooked one. The fish ate a small puff pattern. Finally the storms chased us in. Sunday I fished a half day with John Guarntino. Again we struggled in the strong wind to cast to the bonefish. Once the water fell out a bit, we were able to find several nice schools of fish mudding heavily in the strong current. John hooked only one, but a needlefish cut the line as it knifed through the water. That's all I've got for this week. <br><br> Good Luck to you. Practice your casting at every opportunity, and you'll be a much luckier fisherman. <br>For more information or availability, please contact Capt. Barry Hoffman at: <br>www.flatsguide.com / guide@flatsguide.com <br>home 305-852-6918 cell 305-664-6460 <br><br>