Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Southbbound Key West fishing report July 18th
As always happens eventually, the fishing is starting to change again. The snappers are still biting but we’re starting to see a few sailfish around and there have been a few nice dolphin caught offshore. It’s been tough offshore the last 6 weeks or so, but we’re finally starting to see a little bit of east current starting in about 600ft of water and there have been some nice dolphin in the 20+lb range being caught. It’s not red hot, but I would expect it to improve over the next few weeks as the east current associated with the Gulf Stream moves in closer to the Keys. The Gulf Stream fluctuates in and out. It can be 50 miles offshore or it can be right in on top of the reef. Since late May, it’s been mostly 50 miles offshore and that hasn’t been good for the Dolphin fishing. It’s starting to move in and fishing should improve for Dolphin, Wahoo and hopefully some more bill fish.
[signature]
Dolphin ??? Why you fihing for dolphin ???
[signature]
It is not the Dolphin you are thinking about. There are many names for the fish he is talking about depending on where you live but here is a picture of one.
[inline dolfin.gif]
[signature]
ohhhhhhhh, thank you .[Wink]

Peter
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][Image: happy.gif]I Hawaii when served the dolphin is know Mahi Mahi. Taste just like chicken.[/#008000][/font]
[signature]
Peter here in CA most refer to them as [url "http://www.costaricapages.com/panama/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/mahi.jpg"]dorado[/url] suppose to good fishing for them off the kelp beds off the coast of San Diego...(Im hoping to fly fish for some of them in Nov ((if they are still running)) when my daughter and her hubby come out from TN)

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
Already taking about the kids in TN coming out to CA......aren't you in TN right now...LOL

I call them Doritos I mean Dorado too, but I do know there are several different Dolphins or I would have had the same response as Pete,
[signature]
lol.. Ill be honest and say I was not sure and had to look it up... lol...

yes we are in TN right now ..as for the kids coming to CA.. wifey likes to plan way anhead of time... LOL...

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[center][font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][Image: dumb.gif]Duh - are you coming or a goin? lol[/#008000][/font]
[signature]
I was in TN then.. but am home now.. LOL..
[signature]