Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rockport 7/16/10
Took the family up at about 11am. got on the water at noonish. as we were coming in they were telling us the boat ramp was closed and to wait an hour before launching. so we set up day camp at the "down under" day use area off the road just before the boat ramp turn.
we only got in due to the fact that my wifes cousin was already in there. they turned the 3 boats ahead of us away and made them leave. they also told us Jordanelle was full and East canyon too. they didnt know about DC or anyplace else.

So I waited a while then got the boat in the water and played a little bit at the day use area. we met up with wifes cousin and his girl. her mom and dad came up for a while and brought MJ the neighbor with them. MJ loves to fish.

MJ and I hit the water trolling. I tried a deep diver Rapala on one rod and a wedding ring rig in green with a crawler on the other, nodda for me. a few hits, but nothing hooked up. MJ had one hit and put one fish in the boat. a 14 1/2 inch bow. good fish. she was happy.

we trolled towards the marina then across the lake and back down to within 200 or 300 yard of the bouies at the inlet area. marked a ton of fish mostly suspended in 50 feet of water and fish were hanging out around 18 to 40 feet deep. there was alot of fish marked, alot. at times i had 30+ blips on my garmin. it was almost 100 up there and the fish were not playing.

went back to camp fired up the BBQ and made some shish-kabobs. mm mm. MJ took her fish home with the inlaws and they had a fine trout dinner with some asparagus and cous cous they said. nice pink fish, good meat so i hear tell of. [:p] they didnt save any for us.

all in all a good day out in the "wild" with the family and freinds. dont know where we will be next, but we have a trip to pineview scheduled for Aug. 13 thru 15th. may be able to hit deer creek once or twice in between that time.

good fishing.
[signature]
Thanks for the report, too bad the catching was so show but the middle of the day is a tough time to catch fish. At least the young one caught one and it sounds like the family had a good time. Is there any shade in the day use area?
[signature]
So we were on East Canyon all morning and and i was using a dipsy diver to get down way deep and knock them on the head.
I had another pole with lead core line out 130 ft with 6 oz of lead attached to get done to the 35 ft were they were hitting.
I went thru the deep area over by the damn with my leaded line and dipsy out 225 ft and picked one up as well.
Maybe at rockport you need to do the same. Them trout don't like the 95-100 degree weather and are chill-axing in some cooler water.
[signature]
WH2, the day use area that we were in was nothing but shade except when you are right on the "beach" it is a more primitive area, not cement around and a "hole in the ground" potty shack. the pic nic table was right in between some trees and we had a good spot to get some sun, but when it was too hot you cold retreat up to the shade. good area for the kids to play too.
[signature]
I agree, deep is the key. unfortunately I do not have any lead core or equipment to run it. I did use my 3oz banana weight to see what I could pick up and still did not get anything. I figure that weight put me in the 25 to 30 foot depth. just a slow day fishing. [pirate] the power squadron was also out in double formation putting alot of noise out there. not making excuse, just saying it could have contributed to my lack of knowlege of the lake, skill depravation, and increased activities other than fishing on the lake that shut the fish down. I know I found them, they were all over the place. [cool]
[signature]
I was there for a week the week of July 12-15 and did very well fishing, landed about 21 (over 4 days) fish and keep about 4 to eat at ccamp (not a big trout eater, love wiper however) we used crank baits, rainbow in color, the trollin speed was 2.69 GPS and the line was out almost 300 ft. we would troll from the boat dock to the west end back and forth, we always landed a fish or two. the best time was in the eveing after the power jurks got off the water. THANKS for the report, recerve your spot eaily in the year, it is a busy place. Smile
[signature]