Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Panfish and Bass Flies
Does anyone have any particular flies they tie for Panfish and Bass? Here are some that I and my husband tie and use. Sorry, some are a bit ratty from being used.

[inline "DSC00642 Standard e-mail view.jpg"]

[inline "DSC00644 Standard e-mail view.jpg"]
[signature]
Those are great. I like the Mallard over back. The Bigg's Special is another one that is a killer all around fly.
Did you tie these?
[signature]
I haven't heard of the Bigg's Special. I will have to look it up.

I am kind of partial to the mallard wing, I really like how it moves in the water.

Here are a couple of pictures of some of the largest bluegills we have been catching lately. I don't know why I like panfish it is a strange thing as I grew up with trout fishing.
[inline "DSC00638 Standard e-mail view.jpg"]

[inline "DSC00636 Standard e-mail view.jpg"]
[signature]
Not strange at all. Bluegill are a rush. They are like pulling a frying pan up...and a cast iron one at that!!!
I caught some 11" and 12" out of Pelican and I did this on a Far and Fine fly rod...now that was interesting.
[signature]
Wow, I can't imagine how an 11 or 12 incher would fight! I caught some of just the 9 inchers on a 3 wt and I thought I had a 4 lb bass for sure. lol [laugh]

On the flies - yes, I did tie them all except for the red worm with the black hackle head. That is one my husband tied.
I have also used the light grey mallard on the over wing and it works good too.
[signature]
Very nice flies. Don't forget this weekend!
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][Image: happy.gif]Hi cpierce and welcome to the FF forum. For bass I'm inclined to use flies that that are noisy. Like a popper. Pan-fish are not to choosy. I'll use spidery types of flies and even a Griffith Gnat can be productive. Perhaps we'll hear from some of the locals as to their preference of pan fish flies.[/#008000][/font]
[signature]
great looking flies and fish... my first gill (and bass) was on a popper... since then I have used red and black ants, scuds, shronimids (red and green)... and wooly worms... (that is the first fly I tied and caught fish on.. :-) ) ...

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
For panfish I like a size 14 or 16 Adams or a Ginger Quill. It's fun watching them take all day. If you dry fly, keep some poo goo handy, you'll need it.

-James Pryal
Into The Wild Fly Fishing Guide
Upper Peninsula of Michigan's Number One Fly Fishing Guide Service
www.intothewildflyfishing.com
[signature]
you may want to try diawl bachs as well.. heard they are killer flies for pan fish... and they are easy to tie... (if I can do it anyone can.. lol)..

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[quote pryal74]For panfish I like a size 14 or 16 Adams or a Ginger Quill. It's fun watching them take all day. If you dry fly, keep some poo goo handy, you'll need it.

-James Pryal
Caddis Shack Fly Fishing Guide[/quote]

Interesting on the choice. Don't usually hear dry flies for Warm water species. I know they take them...try a Royal Wulff sometime, but never heard someone recommend dries
[signature]
Obviously you have never been on a lake in the summer time with no wind before. Yes using nymphs is a great way to wrangle panfish, but a dry fly is the most exciting and possibly just as effective. "Don't usually hear that?" You need to get outside more =)

-James Pryal

[#bf0000]Users are not allowed to post links to their own sites... if you would like to advertise your site please contact the owners of the for details.. the link is posted at the bottom of the page.. [/#bf0000]
[signature]
Your right, I have no idea what I am talking about.[Tongue][crazy]
[signature]
I didn't say that. I think it's odd that someone thinks that dry flies for panfish isn't a common practice. No offense meant.
[signature]
growing up 45 min from bob clouser, I pretty much use clouser and crayfish patterns for bass fishing
[signature]
Re read our two post. You mentioned two flies (size 14 or 16 Adams or a Ginger Quill) that are common for trout, not usually mentioned for Bass, Bluegill, Crappy. Than Look at the picture of the flies posted.

My reply was "Interesting on the choice. Don't usually hear dry flies for Warm water species. I know they take them..., but never heard someone recommend dries .

In all the forums I read when the question comes up for warm water species, you don't read those dries or similar ones mention, Poppers, yes.
That was all there was to my comment. No biggie.

Moving on[Wink]
[signature]
C... do you have any idea what the name of the fly on the upper right is.. the one that looks like a worm with a really big ego.. uhmmm head.. [Wink]
[signature]
Almost looks like a Bi-Polar worm that I have tied up in several colors.
[signature]
I stand corrected amigo... sure does look like that bi-polar worm you showed me before... if its not its very similar.. :-)

MacFly
[signature]
I don't know the actual name, but flies like it have been around a long time. It is simply a head or body of maribou or hair and a chenile tail. The bi-polar worm is just like it in shape, but it uses the polar materials.

Dry flies are a fun way to catch bluegills and panfish. I used dries more in Washington for gills than here. Mostly because of the wind here, although small poppers can be a blast anytime. You never know what will grab them!
[signature]