Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Transom Saver
How important is a transom saver for an outboard 115 motor? Mine came off and the bungee saved the top half. I couldn't find the same one so I bought a different brand to replace it with. I have to mount a bracket to my trailer which I thought I'd have the bracket welded on. Its stainless and can't find a guy in Manila to weld it on for me. I'm going to have a bracket made in Salt Lake but until its done is it safet to drive it the 5 or 6 miles to lucerne from Manila without a transom saver?
[signature]
You should be fine but take it slow and watch out for the bumps. If it is a newer boat you should be ok but an older boat might be in trouble if you drive it too far without the transom saver.
[signature]
I'm sure you have a transport lock on your motor, just use that to take the load off of the hydraulic tilt/trim. I wouldn't even be shy about dragging it back to SLC if need be. I personally use a transom saver (75 HP merc), but have herd alot of arguments against them saying they do as much damage as they prevent by pushing up on the motor when you hit a bump. Personally I think if the boat and trailer are strapped together tight, then they move as one piece and I want the motor to be locked in with it, not flexing up and down with every bump.
[signature]
Thanks for the response. The boats we've always had were small aluminums with 25-35 hp motors which we never had a transom saver until I can get someone to weld stainless to my trailer. The 115 is pretty darn heavy so I didn't know if any damage would be caused. I feel much better about hauling it somewhere now without a transom saver. It's only a few miles from Manila to Lucerne so I'll definitely pull it over there.
[signature]