Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
au sable river , pier head
fished the au sable river pierhead ( breakwall ) on sundaw , what a bust !

there was a tournament going on at the time so boats were racing in and out all day . i did manage to land a couple gobies , yuck !

there were a couple big trout just out of casting distance of the pierhead topwater feeding , i'm giving a guess of them being within the 6-10 lb. range . that would have been fun to catch one !

there was a local guy snorkeling around in the rocks on the south side of the pier , collecting lures , knives and sinkers . at least there's one angler out there that takes recycling seriousley . he said he has filled a rather large tackle box with rapellas and cleao's . he hasen't had to buy a lure in years !
[signature]
PLENTY OF SMALLIES HITTING ON THE LEACHES DURING THE DAY , PLENTY OF CATFISH AT NIGHT TOO , A LITTLE FUTHER UPRIVER , THERE'S SOME GOOD TROUT FISHING JUST ABOVE THE WHIRLPOOL AND FURTHER UP BELOW THE BRIDGE .

HEARD A RUMOR THAT SOME PEARCH WERE STILL BITING AT THE MOUTH , BUT THATS AN UNPROVEN RUMOR . I HAVEN'T SEEN ANY .
[signature]
i went to the pierhead last night after hearing rumors of lakers , eyes and cats , just to see if they were true .

when i got there i realized i grabbed the wrong pole , i took my bluegill pole instead , #2 test line . ouch !

i fished anyways i wasn't turning back those 80+ miles for a rod . i ended catching a 20 " channelcat , it took about a half hour bringing that little goober in . but it was the only excitement i saw other than a guy from brownstown baiting his kids hooks ( all three boys under 7 years old )

i met a guy that works at wellmans in oscoda , i guess they clean the fish for the charters in the area , his name was bobby brown .

this guy is an all around sportsman . i'm hoping he joins us here soon or can provide us with some actual "for a fact "fishing info from the area .

the people that were fishing from the tip of the pier were using glow in the dark painted daredevils and snelled walleye blades tiped with ailwites . they said the best time to be out there was 3am untill a half hour after daybreak . they have seen on an average of 15 hook-ups and about only 2 landed each day .

the parking lot still runs you $4.00 for a dailey pass . bring a COAT not a jacket , it gets darn cold out there !
[signature]
did he mention any thing about collecting eggs and juce for fisheries?
[signature]
no , that didn't come up in the conversation , but i will ask him ! i am planning on collecting some myself , i picked up a spawn vice at jay's in clare .

i gotta get a supply for spring too !

we don't even have a frost yet and i'm thinking of the spring run [crazy] ! lol !!!!
[signature]
Hi all, I am gonna try and go up to Oscoda on Friday the 26th, what are they using to catch anything up there off the pier? I keep getting skunked down here by Ann Arbor so I am going where the real fish are....
hot-n'tots , cleos , spoons and rapelas . evenings around dusk till midnight , 4 a.m. till dawn .

if your planning on using spawn , a 5 ' leader line from your sinker .

bad thing about the pier is that someone started the tight line fishing there and it has cought on , makes it hard to fish the right way . it is only a ten minute ride to the dam , along the way are dosens of spots along the river to fish if the crowd is too much to deal with .

welcome , from your pals here !
[signature]
welcome to the bigfishtackle.com forums.

extreme lures has a line of jigs that look hot for salmon. you may want to grab a couple and tip them off with a minow or a egg or three.

the sent will draw them the holigraphics will make them mad enouth to hit.
[signature]
from what i hear , some steelies , whitefish ,lakers , walleye , and kings { possibly a coho or two } are at the pier head . as for the river ???? maybe the kings are there .
i'de like to join you , but i'm giving tippy one last shot this weekend .
[signature]
were you there ? i couldn't tell if everyone was huddeling together for the cast out into the lake or just to stay warm !

i saw three come out at the dam at the end of the walkway before the bend , all three were snagged on lead lures , tightlined .
[signature]
I was there Friday night. Got skunked, almost literally, there was a skunk on the breakwall right next to us. We left when it started raining hard. It was windy out there though. We did try down by the damn earlier in the evening, saw a couple jump, not sure if they were kings or not. I think I will probably head back up there in 2 weeks, hopefully with more luck.
[signature]
i'll reply to your post as soon as i hear anything on them being there , maybe we'll meet there and tag team thoes big brusers !
[signature]