Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
au sable river ( excluding ponds )
well after the pier fishing was a bust i ventured upriver , hitting all the popular holes and stopping at every baitstore between oscoda and curtisville . all the reports and the fishing was the same . nothing being cought on the river , panfish in the lakes , that's about it .

since the d.n.r. has put a restriction on the amount of canoes a livery can rent out in a day , the recreational tubers have taken over the river system . i myself experianced this first hand .

first there were groups from 5 to 15 , then they became increasingley larger 20 -30 , then it was a non stop parade of them , all draging coolers and six packs tied to there sides .

as a resuly not one single hit , bump or nibble was had . i never saw a fish swim by either . big difference from the cool spring temps and the hot days of summer . there were periods of at least 10 minutes between casts .

Sad to saw , i don't feel it will be long before the d.n.r. steps in to regulate the recreational tubing that these people now enjoy . the littering . the drinking , the shere volume of people are going to ruin this activity forever .the local businessmen are torn between the debate on what to do , since the area has been a t.b. area (452) hunting revinue has been down about 90% , the trout fisherman don't bring in enough of a cash flow to support them .

on the other side of the coin , the campers and recreational tubers are a godsend to the local economy that has been greatley distressed for a few years , but there polluting the river .

the d.n.r. WILL step in sooner or later , it's just a mater of time . my concern is that they do what's best for the au sable river system , and not for the deep pockets of the d,n,r. .
[signature]
SMALLIES ON LEACHES , TROUT AT THE USUAL HOLES ( GET THERE EARLY , THERE SHUTTING DOWN QUICK )

A FEW WHITE BASS HAVE BEEN COUGHT TOO , WHERE'S THERE BIG BROTHERS AT ?
[signature]