Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
?? New Baitcasting Combo
The other day I was forced to use someone's baitcast setup. I normally fish with spinning gear unless I'm trolling, deep sea or ice fishing. The first 30 minutes was terrible, the next hour ok, and the last hour and a half was down right fun. It added a new challenge to catching fish and I liked that. So I think I want to buy a new setup and though I'd ask all of you what I should get. I'm not rich but figure I could drop a 100 bucks on a comb. I'm leaning to the:
Cabela's Prodigy™ 200/Fish Eagle® II Casting Combo
in the 1 pc 6'6" M
You guys know what kind of fishing I do so I don't need to go there. Just looking for an all around setup.
So if you had a $100 what would you buy??

Thanks,
Rod
[signature]
I'd lean towards one of the Abu Garcia C3 baitcasters. Bit bulkier but they've been proven over time and still cost under $100 last time I checked.
[signature]
The pink Barbie Combo seems to work well with cats.
[cool][cool][cool][cool][cool][cool][cool][cool]
Couldn't resist. Ron started it.
[signature]
I don't have any baitcasters except for some of my dad's 40 year old reels. But looking at this website the other day, this reel caught my eye and made me think about trying one.

http://www.fieldandstream.com/photos/gal...10?photo=4
[signature]
Ever hear of the "The North American Barbie Pole Fishing Federation"? They just did there 1st annual bass tournament a few weeks ago at Paddock Res.. I think the winning bass was 4.3 lbs.. I guess Howard's actually had to put in a rush order to make sure everyone got their Barbie. Cool thing was after the event all 26 poles where donated to a organization that teaches kids to fish. I think next year they plan to move the event to Brownlee.

My brother fishes with the "green weiny" and has for years. It's the "Hulk" version and he found it at LP years ago. Amazing how far he can cast with it. He still can't catch fish though. [bobhappy][bobhappy][Tongue]
[signature]
have you looked at the local pawn shops ? i see a lot of these set-ups. level winds the pawnbroker called them. i am still getting used to spinning ! [Image: scaredworried.gif]
[signature]
I have gotten a few bait casters the last few years and my Abu Revo the basic model is by far the best I have tried. The others were good but the difference was very noticable. Still a beginer with it for sure but would suggest spending a few more bucks on a better reel as you most definately notice it more than with a spinning reel as there are more things that can happen to make things frustrating.
[signature]
Try fly fishing. It is more fun than you can believe! And tying your own flies adds another great element to the fun.
[signature]
Another vote for a barbie!
This year I got a bank fishing rod. It is a MH berkley glow stick and a Abu Garcia 6601C4. I have always like the pole in my right hand and I like to reel with the left. SO I got a left hand Abu.
I have only casted it a few times. Most of my fishing is not from the bank. I would like to try this rod and reel for sturgeon with my Pontoon. Ron
[signature]
I see nothing wrong with your original choice. I own several Fish Eagle rods, but have no experience with their Prodigy casting reel. However, with Cabela's you and fish with the outfit and if you decide it isn't what you want you can just take it back. I've ordered 6-8 rods in to the Boise store that weren't available in the store, tried them out and returned 3 of them for credit (or you can get your money back).

I predominantly fish with casting tackle, and even have outfits that will cast 1/8 oz jigheads/grubs or worms for smallies.
[signature]
I have a [url "http://www.digitaldagger.com/reels/pinnacle/pinnacle.html"]Pinnacle Extant HS EX10hs[/url], still in the box. It is a right hand model and I use the lefties. $20 and it's yours. It's only collecting dust in my man cave. Send me a pm if interested.
[signature]
I have two Fish Eagle II's I use for trout fishing and I love them. I was thinking about trying to build my own but they want just as much for the blanks as they do the rods. The first couple times I went steel head fishing I used my Fish Eagle rods and actually landed a couple Steel head with them. It was quite a battle.
[signature]
I came back and took a look see, the Prodigy reel has a terrible drag system. I have one that I've only used as a spare and it's a last minute go to if needed. Nothing to do with my previous post. If you're going to buy a 'combo' spend the money on the reel first and worry about matching it to a rod later. The reel is much more important. Drag, casting capability, magnetic brakes, etc. Stuff you will pick up on after trying out a few different models. When using a baitcasting reel nothing is more important than confidence in that reel. I occasionally spool out but it's a quick fix. I am able to dial in my reels to the weight of the lure I'm casting and line weight. It's not so easy with a cheap reel, been there before.
Spend the extra money on a nice reel and follow it up with the rod. I get screamin' deals on Powell rods and I'll pass it on to you. Just do me a favor and don't buy a cheap reel, it will ruin the experience.
[signature]
Thanks for all of the great input. I'll let everyone know what I decide on in a few weeks. I never get into much of a hurry buying things. Doing the homework and studying up is half the fun for me.

Thanks Again,
Rod
[signature]
Check eBay, Craigslist, and others places for the reel you choose. Understand that any baitcaster under $100 isn't very good. You can get very good/expensive reels with a little patience and research. Think low-profile. Large reels will wear you out faster. Hand fatigue or the CLAW is a real problem of repetitive casting. When you pick something you may like, come back here and ask for imput.
[signature]
As usual it looks like I will need to spend more money than I want to. So realizing that, I think got it narrowed down to 2 reels.

Shimano Cardiff or Abu Garcia C4

I want to stay with one of the round reels because it looks like they are more forgiving for a rookie. I'm leaning towards the Shimano because bang for the buck I can't find a better brand than Shimano, for spinning gear anyway.

So what do you guys and gals think? Shimano or AG?
[signature]
If you want a round reel and want the best bargain, go on eBay and search for ABU Garcia Black Max 1600 or 3600 (depending upon size you want). These reels are very high quality, and have been revised a few times until they now are $400+ ABU Morrum. They are a solid reel, can be upgraded with new ball bearings very easily, and can even have new high speed gears installed, if desired. You should be able to get one for $30-40. They sold new for around $75 in the 1990s. If you like to tinker with tackle, they are a great reel to own, and a pleasure to fish.
[signature]
WOW thanks SmartWeed. I'll definitely check into some of those. [Smile][Smile][Smile]
[signature]
The C4 has been around for years and years. Extra parts, etc. can be found on ebay. I saw one in Walmart last fall for $20 (mismarked or clearance?). I got one last year for a muskie trip and having never used one before it was very forgiving. Keep in mind those are for bigger fish, tackle, or water and you would eventually be happier with a low profile for everyday all around casting. All of that said the Shimano Cardiff and Curados are excellent top of the line reels. I noticed the guides in Minnesota use them on their rods. Lots more money for those.
[signature]
I use a Shimano Curado teamed up with a G-Loomis GL-3 rod.

I know this is way out of your price range, but I started out with a lower budget setup and kept upgrading until I finally broke down and shelled out the dough.

This is the best setup I have ever owned and worth every penny that i paid for it. Smile
[signature]