Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mid August trout NW Montana suggestions needed.
Hello, this will be my last opportunity to flyfish out west.[frown]
I'm hoping to make it a memorable river / stream fishing trip [I don't fish lakes much] .[fishin]
We are flying in from Florida to Seattle,Wa
My wife has us staying 1st in Coeur D' Alene,ID 1 day and i'm hoping that there is some good flyfishing in nearby Montana?
Next we go to Missoula for 2 days and I know there are a bunch of popular rivers there, but would like to have some solitude [ That's half of what i'm coming for. ] and suggestions for which waters will fish best in mid Aug? [Wink]
Then 2 days in Glacier N.P. The Flathead sounds interesting, but i'd sure appreciate some advice on where the go and what to expect. [Image: happy.gif]
I can not afford to hire a guide. I'm retiring this month on SS alone and a part time job-no retirement benefits for me. I have always been a self employed house painter.
I am strictly catch and release and always respect the laws and private properties.
I sure hope I can get a few folks to help me out. Thanks!
Chuck n' Pam Bergman
If you want to avoid the extreme combat fishing around Missoula try the Wise River and Rock Creek. Glacier NP and it's surroundings aren't really that productive when it comes to trout streams. Give one of the forks of the Flathead a try and enjoy the scenery. Might check in Whitefish with a local fly shop to see what's fishing well.
[signature]
[#0000bf]Thank you! I can't find any info with a Google search on the Wise River? That's good I guess? It's not so likely to be hammered, as you said![/#0000bf]
[#0000bf]Rock Creek is pretty well known though. Any portions of it that you would suggest?[/#0000bf]
[#0000bf]Thanks again![/#0000bf]
[#0000bf]Chuck[/#0000bf]

[quote riverdog]If you want to avoid the extreme combat fishing around Missoula try the Wise River and Rock Creek. Glacier NP and it's surroundings aren't really that productive when it comes to trout streams. Give one of the forks of the Flathead a try and enjoy the scenery. Might check in Whitefish with a local fly shop to see what's fishing well.[/quote]
[signature]
I realize that this might be to late but if you are still around or will be in the missoula area. Try heading down the bitterroot. The first spot that i would try is Lolo creek it parallels Hw 12 and is a good late season fish. Form their i would head south another 15 minutes to Florence. turn left at the only light go until you cross the florence bridge and hang a hard right onto the little pull off next to the bridge. Their is a good hole directly below the bridge. Down stream 100 yds or so their is a little set of ripples on the east side witch is also a good producing hole. Sorry i didn't post sooner. Good luck
[signature]
Thank You!
I was only there for a week and caught lots of trout in Wise Creek, Big Hole and others. Mainly 10" fish, but I got one 16" at Big Hole!
[signature]
Good to here, both of those areas are excellent fishing and produce big fish every now and then. In fact last fall a 22 pound brown was caught in the big hole.
[signature]