Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
South Carolina Weekly Shallow Saltwater Report
South Carolina Weekly Shallow Saltwater Fishing Report<br>Week of 10-28-01 through 11-03-01<br><br>Not a bad week! Three trips and all were done without a gale of wind blowing. The first, on Tuesday, was one of those trips that reminded me of “the good old days” when the fish were plentiful and always hungry. My client caught and released 48 reds, 17 trout and 2 flounder and was back at the landing early in the afternoon. The fish were all caught on artificials... jigs and spoons. Another of our guides had a day, early in the week, when they caught 31 reds and 11 trout. So, maybe there is a chance that the rest of our Fall fishing will be good after all. I was beginning to wonder if it was the fish, or if it was me. I’d heard of several others making good catches, such as these, but had not been able to confirm it and was somewhat doubtful about the numbers they were reporting. Now, I’m not so skeptical. For the other two trips, which were half days, we found and caught some nice fish in the grass during the big tides we had. We didn’t see any tails, and I think it’s probably a little late in the season to see any and the water on our flats is already down to around 55 degrees. Another of our guides, that sort of specializes in trout, has had several really good days (over twenty fish) in the past two weeks. We’re hoping that we won’t have another cold snap this winter, like the one last year that killed so many of them. I’ve had several other trusted people tell me about catching lots of the small reds. Maybe Mother Nature will give us a helping hand and let these small ones survive. We continue to see dolphin (mammals) in the shallows and in small creeks chasing these reds and trout. I know they also eat mullet, but the trout and reds are easier for them to catch, and they eat many of them. The dolphin have always been here, but I don’t ever remember them in the numbers that we are seeing now, or in the extreme shallows the way we do now. Here’s wishing everyone a successful Fall season!<br><br>My weeks totals were: reds totaled 54 and trout totaled 25. There were two flounder caught.<br><br>Thanks, Gene Dickson<br><br>Delta Guide Service http://www.deltaguideservice.com<br>Georgetown, SC<br>1-843-546-3645<br><br>Our new e-mail address is: Delta-Guide-Service@sc.rr.com<br><br><br>We are a saltwater fishing guide service located on the coast of South Carolina.