Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mechanical help
Hello all,
I am in need of engine help for a 1990 60 hp Johnson outboard. It is a three cylinder and has three carbs stacked vertically. My problem is stalling at low speed. I have recently had the carbs rebuilt twice and the shop put this orange wax stuff over a side screw on each carb. I don't know the significance of the wax or what the screws do. Perhaps they should be my focus? I have spent hours tinkering with it but to no avail. I have been through both the selock and johnson manuals that I have and am not smart enough to figure this out. Most recently I emptied the gas tanks and cleaned them out for any water and adjusted what I thought was the low speed idle knob/screw. There are these two big black knobs/screws that the throttle cables go through, they are vertically stacked on the bottom left of the motor. They are threaded about 5 inches along the cable to adjust forward or backward. The top one seemed to be controlling the low speed idle and I ended up adjusting it forward an inch and a half. This adjustment seems to end at some sort of stop arm for both cables. I had the motor in a tank for resistance and thought I had fixed it but the engine still dies when it idles, even when it is hot. I constantly have to restart the thing and it is incredibly frustrating at the dock when it is crowded not to mention the rest of the day trying to troll or move. I have dropped a lot of money on this thing and was hoping to fix it myself before spending any more money that I don't have. Thank you in advance for any help you can throw my way.
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Mechanical help - by grumpster4320 - 07-26-2010, 10:25 PM
Re: [grumpster4320] Mechanical help - by Sawz - 07-27-2010, 03:33 AM
Re: [grumpster4320] Mechanical help - by AFDan52 - 07-27-2010, 04:17 AM