Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shore Fishing Lake Mead (Boulder Basin)
I am trying to put together a resource for you guys who are looking for spots to shore fish.

Here is what I came up with so far.

Boulder Basin
[inline "aerial bb.jpg"]

Boulder Beach
[inline "boulder beach.jpg"]

Kingman Wash
[inline "kingman wash.jpg"]

33 Hole / Government Wash
[inline "33 hole govt wash.jpg"]

Crawdad Cove / 8 Mile Road
[inline "crawdad cove 8 mile road.jpg"]

Callville Area
[inline callville.jpg]

I will add more soon.

If you guys have any good shore fishing info, please post it here, and we can build on this.

The Whizzle
[signature]
hey man, thanks alot for the great info! Us shore fisherman new to the area sure do appreciate it.
[signature]
[left]Some pertinent info for ya'll-
[left]
[left]

[left]Lake Mead has a maximum depth of 465 feet and covers 150,000 surface acres over its 110-mile length. Game fish include largemouth bass, smallmouth bass, channel catfish, black bullhead catfish, bluegill sunfish, green sunfish, black crappie, striped bass, rainbow trout and walleye. Catch rates for 2007 were 4.49 fish per angler. Stripers averaged 19.4 inches in 2006 and rainbow trout 10.0 inches. Approximately 91% of the catch was made up of stripers and 5% were rainbow trout, with largemouth bass, channel catfish, bluegill and black crappie making up the other 4% of the catch. Peak catch rates are usually June and July and again in October and November. The most productive months to harvest largemouth bass are June, July and October; to harvest bluegill are May and June; to harvest black crappie January, November and April; to harvest channel catfish June, July and October; to harvest rainbow trout are December, January, February, and March; and to harvest stripers are July, October and November, although stripers are captured year around. Fish can be harvested any time of the day or night if the angler is well equipped, knowledgeable and versatile. During the cold months of November through March, striped bass can be taken during the day with bait (threadfin shad captured with cast net) and at night with top water plugs such as the AC plug fished with a slow retrieve. Additionally, bait can be fished under a clear bubble with or without a slip sinker. Largemouth bass can be patterned in both shallow and deep water with artificial lures fished early morning or evenings. Black crappie can be taken in the Overton Arm at night with live bait such as shiners and/or jigs. Fish against rock walls and in brushy areas. Trout can be taken in the immediate vicinity of their stocking with conventional gear such as worms, Power Bait or lures. Channel catfish occasionally hit spinners, but are usually captured while fishing on the bottom utilizing fresh fish parts, liver, prawns or prepared catfish bait fished on a sliding sinker with a treble hook.
Shad are the best bait for stripers, but are, at times, hard to find. Prepared bait and anchovies are good replacements as well as lures such as Sassy Shad and KastMasters. Numerous top water gear works during fish "boils". Check with the local sporting goods dealer. They will be more than happy to sell the latest "hot" top water lure. Stripers are fished in two ways: at depth (up to 120 feet) with prepared bait or spoons and hunting boils (surface activity generated by stripers actively feeding on shad), then fishing the boil with top water plugs. Chumming is allowed on Lake Mead with anything except game fish parts. One of the favorite chums is anchovies and corn. Fish over the chum for at least an hour then move to a different spot. At times, anchoring along a steep drop

[left]off and chumming on a set pattern will do the trick. Striped bass on the hunt move in schools and will clean up an area quickly, then move on.
Fishing at night is a slow relaxing way to spend an evening. Bait up, chum up, "bell" up and have a seat. You could catch anything from a catfish to a striper to a leatherneck turtle. Striped bass up to 43 pounds have been taken utilizing this method, however, the normal size is 2 to 3 pounds and these make excellent table fare.
While fishing in the back of coves during the spring and summer, look for weedbeds. Holes in the beds and a clean bottom often indicate nesting Tilapia. Try fishing with corn, peas, prepared meats such as hot dogs and/or sour mash or corn meal. Tilapia can weigh as much as 5 pounds and are excellent to eat.

[left]

[left]Camping - Camping via boat is allowed lake wide, while shore camping is becoming restricted. Established mobile type campgrounds are becoming the commonplace around the lake. Drive-to type campgrounds are found at every launch ramp except South Cove, Hemenway and Government Wash. Amenities include showers, water, tables and grills. Areas with full hookups include the Trailer Village, Echo Bay Marina and Overton Marina. Floating restrooms can be foundaround the lake. Seven were installed in 2001. Things to Consider - Summer temperatures at times reach 110°F, so carry water and leave a note as to your destination and expected time of return. The lake can, at times, get very rough, so listen to the weather forecast before boating for any distance, especially in a small craft.
[signature]
[left]
[left]
[left]
[left]
Great info here! I'm new to the forums (and fishing) and just trying to soak up as much info as I can. Except as marked on your maps above, are pretty much all the lake access points you have called out accessible by a passenger car?

I have a Jeep too but I don't like going 4x4'ing with just me.
[signature]
There are some spots that you would be way better off in your jeep. I wouldn't consider it 4x4ing, but it beats sinking in the sand.
[signature]
Alrighty, I'll throw in a 12 volt air compressor and air down the tires if needed. Hopefully I'll have a chance to make it out there this weekend. Thanks!
[signature]
This is some great info. Any good places to shore fish at Lake Mohave?[fishin]

Also, how far is the parking at Hole 33 to the water? Same question, for Crawdad Cove?

Thanks!
[signature]
[quote Gvec]

Also, how far is the parking at Hole 33 to the water? Same question, for Crawdad Cove?

Thanks![/quote]

the walk from the parking lot to the water at 33 hole overlook can be done with standard shoes, a 40lb tackle bag, a lunch bag, 4 rods and a 2 year old in flip flops right now with the water levels high, [cool] its maybe 5 minutes down hill. I haven't been to crawdad since last February so I can't comment on that area. hope that helps a bit [fishon]
[signature]
Whizzle,
Great info! Thank you! Your post was back in 2010. Has anything changed? What can we expect for 2017? Maybe like what locations are still productive for largemouth? Crankbaits, chatterbaits, swimbaits or softbaits?
Sorry, one more question; have you fished Lake Mohave?

Thanks again,
Greg
[signature]