Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bighorn 7/31
I am from Idaho but came up to visit the in-laws and had to get away for a day. My buddy took me out fishing on the Bighorn and we had a pretty good day.

We put in at the dam and floated all the way down to Bighorn take out. At the top the fish were hitting on some bright colored sow bug nymphs. Mostly pink and orange. Towards the middle of the float we didnt have much going after those anymore and ran into a guide who suggested switching to some pheasant tail nymphs. I put on a bead head with a small split shot and landed 4 fish in the first hour after changing.

In all we caught about 15 fish and had a good day. Thanks for letting me get away and enjoy the BIG SKY!
[signature]
Anybody been out recently?

Does anyone actually use this state forum? Or is everyone so secretive with their fishing they dont want to share info?

The Idaho site has new posts every hour and this one has not had a real post in MONTHS!
[signature]
FR,

I think there are very few Montanan's on this site....probably why you don't see many posts. I'll throw up a post every once in a while but not often.

I don't think it's a secrecy issue...all the MT waters are well known.

Specifically for the Bighorn, the majority of the fisherman come from CO. I will fish it every 2 or 3 years or so but there is so much water in SW MT that I have a hard time traveling 5 hours to run into a high probability of combat fishing. When the summer crowds on the BH became intolerable in the late 80's I switched to fishing it in the winter...when the winter crowds became intolerable in the mid 90's I became less interested.
[signature]
nice to see someone is alive out there!

I ran the river a few times last summer and it was not too bad. We could always see about 4-5 other drift boats but not as bad as the combat fishing on Henrys Lake every memorial day weekend!

Enjoy the fishing!
[signature]