Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ely Area
I made the drive to the ELY area a few weeks ago to check out comins lake and try to catch some northern pike. I had never been to Ely before and it was a nice trip. I spent a few hours on the lake in my float tube but had no success. I used several of the techniques (daredevils, rapalas, kastmasters, and other diving lures) that I have used in canada to catch northern pike but there were no takers. When I got out of the water I saw about 20 dead fish that people had thrown on the shore. That is the rule, you can't release them back into the water and they have to much mercury so you should not eat them. A couple of them looked pretty fresh, the rest had been eaten by birds or coyotes.

My next stop was cave lake. I spent about 2 hours fly fishing from my float tube and I caught about 6 rainbow trout. the largest was 12-13 inches. It is a nice lake with camping. A family was checking their crawfish traps and they were nearly full of crawfish. I have never seen crawfish that large. You could probably sell them to smiths for $20/lb.

Overall a fun trip. It would have been nice to catch a northern or two. I tried to take pictures of the dead ones but my camera was not working properly.
[signature]
sounds fun, thanks for the info.
[signature]
Nice report thanks! Have you ever made it into the Great Basin National Park to fish? Supposed to be pretty good.
[signature]
I have never been to great basin but I plan to head up there again and spend some more time. Do they have lakes, streams, or river fishing?
[signature]
They have mainly streams but I think there might be a couple of hike in lakes. They have cutthroat there.
[signature]