Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
lake mead report
Hello all,[cool]

I found this webpage looking up info on mead so I figured I might aswell share my mead report.

We fished tonight from about 7pm-12 we took the first turnoff near the entrance station and hiked down pretty far. We baited up with crawlers on the bottom and started catching cats like crazy all dif sizes caught 11 total 3 people.

Last two hours we fished the lures with little success my buddy landed one smolt striped bass on a swim shad. We will be heading out this weekend same spot this time ill bring the cam untill then take care.

Does anybody know if you can make campfires & carry firearms at lake mead?

~4poundonly
[signature]
Welcome aboard 4pound! Thanks for the report.

I would leave the guns at home, but I'm pretty sure fires are legal in most areas. Dont start one near a fishing pier or marina though.

The Whizzle
[signature]
Fires are ok unless otherwise posted (marinas etc) as Whizzle said.

The firearm situation is a little tricky though. I'm a bit Confused by it.
I can say my father and uncle always had a pistol with us when we'd camp out there. We never fired them though and I barely saw them because they were there strictly for self defense which never became necessary.

All in all, Whizzle is right. I think it's best not to bring them especially if drinking alcohol. Responsible firearm owners don't cause any problems but there's always a bad apple. "If we outlawed guns, then only outlaws would have them."

http://www.nps.gov/lake/planyourvisit/backcountry.htm

about halfway down the page
"Hunting is allowed in the recreation area except in those areas posted as "No Hunting" zones. Target shooting is prohibited throughout Lake Mead NRA.
[signature]
Thnx whizzle saw your reports looks like u da man when it comes to mead bass[Smile]

Howdy erawk,
The reason I asked about firearms is because on the ndow page shows hunting zones around mead we were interested in coyote[sly]

We are from wa state and we hunt and fish alot we would always carry our rifles/shotguns on our backs when bank fishing just in case we ran into something we had a tag for or just simply for scouting/protection. Was wondering if we could do the same at lake mead is that legal? or is it just frowned upon?

thnx guys for all your help[fishin]
[signature]
Im not sure I would be hauling a rifle around on shore. I usually carry my .45 when on my boat though.
[signature]
I usually carry a couple fire arms theres lots of yotes cruising the shorelines in some spots. Plus theres lots of crazy's from vegas You never can be to careful IMHO
[signature]
Thnx everybody for your responses Ive be at mead and seen spent shell casings and heard people discharge into the water so I assume its legal. I will be contacting some officials to see rules about bringing rifles/shotgun down to the shore line around 33hole anybody got any numbers I should call to check on that? untill then I will be bringing my tac knive only. Just so everybody knows this is for security/protection only we will not be discharging any rounds unless our life is in danger. Thank you all for looking.

~4poundonly
[signature]
[cool]Hey 4poundonly, as far as I know the rule is no loaded firearms in the recreation area. But for clarification here are some phone #s. Lake Mead Rangers (702) 293-8998. A good number to have since 911 won,t respond to the lake ( I called it once and they said to call the rangers, they will respond faster).Also NDOW (702) 486-5127. They are in charge of all boating and fish and game issues on the lake. Hope this helps.
[signature]
Here some info to clear up everything about firearms around lake mead. I called two numbers park info @7022938906 and park rangers @7022938998.

The lady at the park info basically just read off the following from here [url "http://www.nps.gov/lake/planyourvisit/firearms.htm"]http://www.nps.gov/lake/planyourvisit/firearms.htm[/url]

The park rangers were a lilttle more helpfull they said you may carry rifles shotguns to carry handguns have ccw. But you cant discharge or carry a loaded weapon at all. And something along the lines of not having ammo in immedant area mmm kinda weird. They keep saying it must be UNLOADED and if I hear any discharging please call asap. They ended the conversation with "you can you just cant use it".

So I dont know,that pretty much sumes it up. I could immagine if you bring rifles/shotguns down the shoreline you probaly will be harassed by a park ranger or someone will call on you anyways thanks Big E for the number thanks guys for your help
[signature]