Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Catfish on lures??
Had a quick question heard of some people catching cats on artificial lures I was wondering what lure & how? specifically channel catfish at lake mead thnx all[fishin]
[signature]
I dont know lake mead, but here in Utah they will hit small Jogs fished for white bass tipped with worm. Usually small tube jigs Pink or Chart. Curly tail Jigs 1.5" in the same colors with a slow reel on the bottom will sometimes get em to bite.

Good Luck,

Shawn M
[signature]
Thanks for the info I have to try the curly tailed jig since I already have some.

~4poundonly
[signature]
Just wondering if anybody else has caught cats on lures before??[cool]
[signature]
I have caught a nice channel on storm Wildeye sunfish swim bait.
[signature]
I caught a 21lb.Channel Cat on the shores of Vermillion Ohio with a Red with yellow belly Crayfish rattle trap.I was on vacation and it was may second cast what a start !We (4 of us) went on to catch about 100 various type fish ( Cats,Walleye,Bass and drum ) in a three day stretch.What a blast !
[signature]
I once caught one on a stainless steel jigging spoon. It was kinda weird but it worked. It was a pretty good size cat for the lake size. The cat was about 1-1 1/2 feet. I hope this helps.
[signature]
Thanks more common than I thought anyone else?
[signature]
I have caught them with red and white crappie jigs. My son got one on a fly. Ron
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I have caught a bajillion cats on lures...all over the US...including in Lake Mead, Lake Powell and all the way down the Colorado River. Cats are not just bottom dwelling garbage eaters. In clear waters they are aggressive predators and sight feeders. Not unusual for them to be caught on topwater next to bass when the boils are on with threadfin shad.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If you are specifically targeting cats with lures...or even flies...best to target clear water areas with lots of rocks and brush. That is where they hang out and forage for crawdads and young fishies of their own and other species. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]You can catch them on a lot of different crankbaits but tube jigs, grubs and swimbaits fished slowly near the bottom work best. Most colors will work but fish the same ones you might fish for bass under the same conditions and the kitties will vote for them too. Anything that looks edible is likely to get munched. But don't be surprised if you are fishing for cats and catch bass. Stupid bass don't always know enough to not hit a catfish lure.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Thanks Tubedude[cool] Never would of thought you fished mead before I guessed you were strictly a utah man. I think ive read one of your willard posts where you had pics of channels with tubejigs still in their mouth.

Had a anothor question for you might aswell ask here how do you tell the dif between male/female cats?
anyway way to tell age by lengh and girth?

thanks again[Smile]
[signature]
How funny, here I was reading your post - thinnin' if it was the Utah board Tubedude'd jump in and fling you some lures to sample. Bada Bing - Bada Boom.
Search some of his other posts - Willard, UL especially for kitty adventures. The boy knows how to find some fat cats from what I've seen.

I know he likes his simple minnows but I've seen a lot of those cookie cutters with them home-poured plastics dangling from the mouth. Curly tails on jigs with an eye - should get you along the way. Tubes too.
A lot of the simple crank/stick baits - minnow patterns - could get some attention.

I've only managed to tempt the kitty-fish with worms, dough, stinky baits. Have yet to get them coming after a lure, but I do hear from numbers of folks - at Willard, Utah Lake - elsewhere that find the hunters. They are not just bottom dwelling - scrounging feeders by any means.

Part of my challenge is chasing them in the mucky muddy carp churned waters of Cutler reservoir. Scent does more than sight in those kind of conditions. Haven't chased any up from Newton - though I hear they are there. Willard skunks me in any way shape or form it can. So I'll probably have to take the abuse again before fall hits.

Good luck. They're out there, and they're hungry!
[signature]
[quote 4poundonly]Thanks Tubedude[cool] Never would of thought you fished mead before I guessed you were strictly a utah man. I think ive read one of your willard posts where you had pics of channels with tubejigs still in their mouth.

Had a anothor question for you might aswell ask here how do you tell the dif between male/female cats?
anyway way to tell age by lengh and girth?

thanks again[Smile][/quote]

[cool][#0000ff]I lived in Boulder City for a while when I was still a kid, and I have been back to fish Mead quite a few times over the years. Also have helped other guys put together gear for tournaments or family trips so I do know that pond reasonably well.[/#0000ff]

[#0000ff]The easiest way to tell a male from a female is by the color and head shape. In most waters the males are darker color, have bigger heads and a big mouth with big lips. Females are generally a brown or olive color...and their heads are about the same width as their upper bodies. (See attached pics) But, there are differences in water chemistry, food and other habitat factors that sometimes make both species very dark in color. You have to know the water as well as the fish.[/#0000ff]

[#0000ff]There are a lot of differences in those local ecology factors that determine how fast a catfish grows or how big it can get in a specific water. Waters with long growing seasons, with warm water and a lot of food, will produce more and bigger catfish than small waters with little food and a short growing season. A 2 pound catfish from one lake may be as old as a 5 pounder from another lake. Only a trained biologist can tell for sure...usually by checking the growth rings on the "otolith" bones inside the heads of the fish. That usually means that those fish won't be growing any more rings.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Thanks appreciate the info I check on the utah board often lookin forward to some ice action good luck on your future fishing and be well.
[signature]
Anyone else have a opinion or thoughts about catching catfish on lures.[cool]
[signature]
[cool]bump
[signature]
Amusing tips and responses. Big Grin
Anyway, perhaps I should try fishing. Unfortunately, there are no 'good' lakes/ponds around my place. But did the lures really work on catfish?
[signature]
Yes, lures will work on catfish, as stated the water must be clear enough for the cats to be able to chase them down. Baited tube jigs, worked slow, are not a problem for cats but faster lures like crankbaits are generally more effective in clear water.
[signature]
i knew to it but i will try to catch catfish with lure to have a great catch.
[signature]