Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How Big of a Boat?
Looking to purchase my first boat. I have been in many.
My main purpose is for the family (2 adults, 3 kids) to go out and have some fun. Second, fishing ( I know, priorities are all wrong huh?)
I don't want a boat so small that I would be afraid to take it out on Strawberry, etc. but don't want some beast as my first one.
I'm thinking something in the 21ft with a small cuddy to get the kids out of the wind when they are wet.

What length of a boat do you think would be optimal?
*Kids don't ski...yet. But would like power enough so that if they decide to, its available.

Any advise would be helpful.

Am considering a lot of the boats on KSL....some in the late 80s look promising. Mid 90s okay as well. Newer ones are just too dang expensive.
Thanks
[signature]
I think you are thinking along the right lines. You want one that is big for the family. I think the 21' would be great. We had one when I was younger and we loved it. It is a bit big for some fishing areas, but it was needed for the family. Also, you feel a whole lot safer in a big one like that. It will also tow a skier with no problem at all.

You also want a boat that you wont have to work on every other time out...does such a thing exhist?? That year range should be ok, and there are a good # of people that will most likely have that year of boat and will be able to help out if you need it.

The final choice is yours, if it fits the family and $, you can fish from pretty much any boat.
[signature]
You are looking at about the right size for your needs. If you are going to be using it for both be sure to make sure that it works for both. Many boats work fine for fun on the water but have the high sides that are not fishing friendly at all. Also, you will be much happier with one that is easy to winterize. Boats with outboards are easy to winterize. Some inboard/outboards are also fairly easy to quickly drain but many are not. If it is not easy plan on winterizing it a month earlier than you often needed to just to be on the safe side.
[signature]
I considered the same years ago and settled with a Lund Tyee. It's a fishing boat that skiis well, not the reverse. I like the high sides with young kids because I feel it's more secure. Plus, it will handle big water if you ever take it to some big lakes.

With a boat like a Lund Tyee, you will need to get an add-on ski pylon, but there are some excellent options like the Insanity pylon. Plus, a fishing boat makes it easier to add a gas kicker, electric trolling motor on the bow, downriggers, planer board mast, and fish finders, and you get livewells. So fish in the morning and when it starts getting hot, put up the pylon and go tubing, wakeboarding, kneeboarding, skiing.

In my opinion it's the best option for versatility. That said, I can't do it all in my boat. I can fill up the rear livewell for a bigger wake, but I don't have waterbags to inflate. And I can't wakesurf--bad idea behind an outboard. But other than than, I think it's the perfect combination offering safety and security for young kids, a great fishing platform, and a good ski/tubing platform.
[signature]
What did you end up getting? I always knew boats were expensive, but mine wasn't going to be that kind, just a little fishing boat. Now I KNOW how expensive boats are. [Wink]
[signature]
Yeah, they are $$$ tanks. I just have my little 14' and it keeps my money busy enough.

Shawn M
[signature]