Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Illinois River fishing / Utica, IL
Hi all,
I usually go bank fishing in the Illinois river, near Starved Rock state park and the dam. It used to be a super hot spot for channel cat & striper. Its not doing so good anymore. I wonder if anyone else has other hot spots arounds this area in the Illinois River.
Thanks
[signature]
try by where the Little Vermillion spills in near LaSalle, or where the Big Vermillion spills in. i was raised in that area (LaSalle/Peru) and fished my butt off there.... another place near starved rock is the little cove thats directly below the dam... you used to be able to park in the parking lot and walk down there and bank fish. above where the little vermillion spills in is the spill way for the private hunting club's lake thats along the tow path of the canal, we always had some pretty good success there. the easiest way to get to the is to walk down the canal path until you get to the lincoln bridge, then walk under neath it and lake upriver, you should see the spill way. hope that helps
[signature]
thanks. I fish in this area alot too. I went like 4 times a week in early april. I usually get out there around 4 or 5 am and fish till 8am. We used to get the whole cooler of striper. lately not so much.
I 'll try these new spots. I keep driving pass the park near the dam but didn't know if we can fish there or not. What do u use for bait? I use fresh minnows from the water.
thanks
[signature]
use your typical stuff... cut bait, stink bait, etc... for the stripers use hard ware like spinners and cranks.
[signature]
That's about 2 hours from where I live, but I have family in Streetor, which is pretty close to Utica. I'll ask them if they know any places.
[signature]
Try crawdads- there in molt now, so they're easy prey for fish.
[signature]