Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
pontoon trailer
Does anyone uses a trailer for they pontoon ? It sure
would be nice to just get to water and toon is ready
to go, no set up at all.
It takes my about 45 min. to get everything ready.....

Peter
[signature]
Here's how I do it!

God Bless,
Don
[signature]
I use a Red Trailer like from FredMeyers.
[inline "double decker (Small).JPG"]
[signature]
[quote smallmouth89]Here's how I do it!

God Bless,
Don[/quote]

Thank you for the picture. Are you able to get that toon
up there all by yourself ?
[signature]
[quote idahopanfish]I use a Red Trailer like from FredMeyers.

Thats what Im talking about ! Something like that.Thank you for the picture.
[signature]
[quote peter805]Does anyone uses a trailer for they pontoon ? It sure
would be nice to just get to water and toon is ready
to go, no set up at all.

I use the back of a F150 with a flat hard cover for all but my large pontoon. No set up, worry about theft, or things being blown out or shaken lose and lost. Tackle in pockets, poles held flat with velcro. Slide out and flip up/down wheel if needed for distance to water or if weight of propulsion system requires it. No need to remove anything when storing in garage except battery for charging. Only an occasional rinse needed for cleaning and air dry in garage prevents mildew. Most of my small units can slide out of the bed, have backpack straps and are light enough to be walked several hundred yards to difficult launch points.
Same principle could be used with an enclosed and locking trailer
, something like a U haul. I have rented these in the past and used a bike when only one vehicle is available for drop off and pickup points separated by several miles.

It takes my about 45 min. to get everything ready.....

Yes, and then there's unpacking on return.

Peter[/quote]

Hope this helps,

Pon
[signature]
That sounds like a fantastic deal.I dont have a p/u truck .
But I can do something like that with the trailer.
Just slide in and slice out . Make hard sides and hard
top cover that opens. That would be great.
It would be so much easyer and save me so much time.........
Thank you for your input.

Peter
[signature]
Absolutely. And it is great pulling up ready to go. Actually, I need to attach motor and battery, but boat is ready...PLUS, I haul my ready to go rods on a rack under the boat.

Our trailer is custom built and had two sets of risers so we can haul three.

And I can haul it with my Grand Vitara. Trailer weighs very little so it allows hauling with small vehicle.

We have the rack on the truck roof, but lifting that 50+ pounds of awkward boat over your head gets real old.
[signature]
Would you have a picture of the trailer with the boat
on it please ?
I'm not too crazy about the lifting boat over my head
eater.
I need to be able to do this by my self.
Thank you Joni.

Peter
[signature]
Here it is with our boats, like I said it has one more set of risers for another boat, but it is usually just our two.

[Image: IMG_1758.jpg]
[signature]
Yes, this system evolved over several years. Added bonus of pontoons not being in direct sun, or bad weather mud splashes on seats. Completely hidden so no one knows anything is even there, so I can leave directly from the parking lot after work. No extended waiting at boat ramps during busy periods- seems like some come unprepared and take up time loading or don't know backing up. No trailer licensing, bearings, theft or backup concerns with F150-that's why I would normally rent a Uhaul cheap, for rare occasions when needed. I have timed myself at 15 minutes from boat in garage to being on the road with change of clothes, snacks, etc. so last, spur of minute trips are possible. Repairs and restocking if needed when I get back from a trip and troubles are fresh in memory. I can carry an additional ODC 420 just needing slight inflatation topoff in the back of my club cab, and another exposed, full size pontoon without equipment, but strapped down, to the top of hard shell if needed, without having to lift above chest level. Another tube could also be strapped to the top of the cab, but that is a high lift situation, and I don't normally need that many tubes....

I have also strapped toons to the top of rented U hauls using long strap ratchet straps, but everything there is exposed to the elements and prying eyes....

Pon

[quote peter805]That sounds like a fantastic deal.I dont have a p/u truck .
But I can do something like that with the trailer.
Just slide in and slice out . Make hard sides and hard
top cover that opens. That would be great.
It would be so much easyer and save me so much time.........
Thank you for your input.

Peter[/quote]
[signature]
[quote flygoddess]Here it is with our boats, like I said it has one more set of risers for another boat, but it is usually just our two.

[.IMG][url "http://i44.photobucket.com/...8.jpg[/IMG][/quote]"]http://i44.photobucket.com/...8.jpg[/IMG][/quote][/url]

Wow, look at that. Its like a train[Smile].
That is a cool set up ! Would you have a up close
pictures of the trailer with the boats preaty please.
Thank you Joni.
[signature]
Your truck set up sounds like a great deal. I like the idea
of out of weather and stuff.
Thats why Im thinking fully inclosed trailer but not a box
trailer that is tall. I still would like to see whats behind
me when Im towing. Just like when Im towing my A frame
fold down camper.
I think 5x8 trailer maybe good for that and build some
sides and top for it.

Peter
[signature]
Good idea. A gutted popup camper trailer would sit low and could be locked and maybe hide one toon inside, with room for another strapped on top. Should be very lightweight and cheap with all the inside stuff missing or taken out and sold for parts. I don't like having to keep an eye on things when I have to stop to eat on a trip, if the toon and equipment is visible to curious passerbys. And you would have your good visibility with a popup camper shell.

Pon

[quote peter805]Your truck set up sounds like a great deal. I like the idea
of out of weather and stuff.
Thats why Im thinking fully inclosed trailer but not a box
trailer that is tall. I still would like to see whats behind
me when Im towing. Just like when Im towing my A frame
fold down camper.
I think 5x8 trailer maybe good for that and build some
sides and top for it.

Peter[/quote]
[signature]
Yes at 64 years young and a bypass survivor, it's a source of pride. I just lean it on the back, lift it by the motormount part of the frame and walk it back and forth till it's on. It's not that hard to carry with your shouders under the seat and your hands on the footrests. I put a foam pad under the seat to make it more comfortable for the shoulders. The hands on the footrests is the perfect balance spot. I could portage this toon if I wanted. Easy enough for a former canoeist. It actually carries as well or better than any canoe I've ever carried. I don't plan to do any serious overland travel with it; but I could see doing a short carry into a portage connected lake.

At the trout club I usually move it from pond to pond with the help of my grandaughters wagon which fits perfectly under the seat.
God Bless,
Don
[signature]
Hmmm thats cool.
I don't think that I can carry my toon. I have way too much
stuff on it plus its not a light toon as it is or the smallest.
Its 9 feet long and 5 feet wide.
Also there is motor and battery coming soon..........

Peter
[signature]
Peter, your boat started off weighing only 47 lbs. I admitt you have added to the weight, but if Smallmouth's FishCat is the 9'er, it starts off at 75 lbs...almost twice as heavy.

As I said, we put one on the roof and one in the back

[inline "Yuba 07 011.jpg"]

But, you can't help but scratch the paint at some point even pushing from behind. Add to that maybe a boat ramp (hill) that puts the back of the truck even higher.

We have talked of enclosing the trailer. It will add to the weight big time, but nice part is you don't need tio strap anything down.
As far as right now..if it is raining the boats are waterproof...LOL. If we are camping, the boats are pulled on shore, a few feet fromn camp, or trailered and the trailer is parked right next to the camping trailer.
Plus with boats in the price range as these...they are insured.[Wink]

I have some pictures of the trailer, but not the great features or loaded. That will be later

[inline "Tailer 008.jpg"]

The Trailer started off, the Harbor Freight model, but seriously, someone ran over it at Strawberry by the ladders and no one saw a thing.
So, actually, the axle is the only thing remaining. The trailer is 10' long not including a 4 1/2' Tongue. It is 6' wide. All STEEL with marine plywood floor.
We strap the oars in the middle of the riser and Motors to the front riser. The metal sqaure in the middle is where the battery sits. With the boat on top, it will not bounce off.
I recently put rod holders down the middle of the trailer floor (four of them) and I can haul up to four rods all set up.

The second riser slides into the lower risers.

We also have a tarp to cover the trailer, but more for snow or frost. They are stored on the trailer in the garage ready to go at a moments notice.
[signature]
I picked up my trailer years ago to carry my Pack goat stuff. Since then it carries my ATV, Motorcycle, and now the Pontoon. I added a flat deck to put the FC9 on. I can put my son's pontoon inside the trailer with my Motor and the rest of my fishing stuff. Most of the time I also have my float tube in there just in case I can't launch the pontoon. I want to get a new trailer that weighs less. The only problem is the motor and the other stuff will be out in the open. I am thinking about a cargo trailer. I would like to try one first before I bought one. I would like to put my Motorcycle in it and leave it at the take out spot on river floats. Once I get to the trailer I take the bike out and put the toon away. Then I ride the bike back to the truck. Doing float trips alone is a P I T A! Ron
[inline "Truck and trailer.jpg"]
[signature]
Joni
I really like your trailer !!!!!!!! It is perfect for two toons.
Was that trailer custome made for you?
Im really not crazy about putting the toon on top of my car. Way too much can go deadly wrong. Remember
what happent to TD tube???
I think I can get by with 5x8 trailer due to limited space
in my garage. Of course the trailer with the boat will be
in my garage as well.
Thank you for the pictures. You are so nice.[angelic]

Peter
[signature]
[quote idahoron]I picked up my trailer years ago to carry my Pack goat stuff. Since then it carries my ATV, Motorcycle, and now the Pontoon. I added a flat deck to put the FC9 on. I can put my son's pontoon inside the trailer with my Motor and the rest of my fishing stuff. Most of the time I also have my float tube in there just in case I can't launch the pontoon. I want to get a new trailer that weighs less. The only problem is the motor and the other stuff will be out in the open. I am thinking about a cargo trailer. I would like to try one first before I bought one. I would like to put my Motorcycle in it and leave it at the take out spot on river floats. Once I get to the trailer I take the bike out and put the toon away. Then I ride the bike back to the truck. Doing float trips alone is a P I T A! Ron
[/quote]

Thats not a bad set up Ron. You get many differente
uses out of your trailer. Utility trailer maybe the way
to go I think.
Thank you for sharing.

Peter
[signature]