Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oh-oh ... Now what have I done?
OK, so I think I may have screwed the pooch. I laid my 8 hp. Tohotsu 4-stroke kicker on its side for a week. The problem is, I laid it with the tiller handle side up and the dip stick side down. As a result, all of the crank case oil leaked out all over the place. I have been told that I should have laid it on the side of the tiller handle.

I haven’t tried to start the motor but I suspect that maybe I shouldn’t even try until a “qualified” mechanic checks the carburetor, air filter, cylinders, etc.

So, I would like to hear what you all have to say as to what I should do or look for before attempting to run it.

Yea, I know I’m a dork … you don’t need to remind me again.
[signature]
I've seen this happen several times. Nothing's ruined, it's just a bit gooped up. I wouldn't bother taking it to a mechanic. After you wipe it down, check the carb to make sure it isn't full of oil. You don't need to open it, just check the throttle body and wipe/blow it out if necessary. Next, remove the spark plug and pull the cord about 20 times and make sure most of the oil inside the cylinder is cleared out. Clean the spark plug and put it back in. Fill the oil reservoir up with oil again and you'll be ready to go.

A spray or two of fast-start may help get the motor started easier. It will blow thick blue smoke for a minute or two and then clear up. If you think it might be fouled, replace the spark plug with a new one and the motor will be good as new again.
[signature]
BVS gave you the right info. Do everything he recommended and you should be fine.
[signature]
Dang ... mistake #2 ... I panicked and already took it to a mechanic.

Hopefully, this thread will help the next bozo to avoid the same mistakes.

Thanks for the pointers though.
[signature]
which shop did you take it to? was it reasonable to get it fixed?
[signature]
I took it to Marine Products at 949 West 1700 South.

They did good but were very high priced.
[signature]