Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alturus Lake
Went there this weekend to camp for 2 nights. Fished Saturday at the inlet just wading in hoping for a bull. Saw some fish rising in the foam right there as the melt comes into the lake but couldn't get my line changed and my dry fly thread quick enough to test those fish rising.

So I decided to try a brassy under a "bobber" the length of my leader, maybe 10' only 1 bump and then some small fry that just seemed to chase it.

Hoped to catch another bull like I did up by featherville under the watchfull eye of a fish & game officer who came down to see if I knew what I caught and he helped me measure it, 18" it was unfortunately on a spinner not the fly rod.

He was very helpfull and we watched it swim away to maybe to fight again. I must have handled it OK and I know it had it out to unhook it and when we measured it, so I guess it was just a blessed day.

However when I talked with the officer Saturday I asked if they were catchin many right now and he said no probably because they were up spawning, but said they planted a lot of catchable rainbows.

A big one on my 4/5 would have been nice.
[signature]
Mike,

Glad you had a good time. How was Advance?

I've never fished at Alturus before. Did you take your 'toon out on the lake?
[signature]
If you want to catch a fish on a fly rod, you have to use a fly rod[Wink]
[signature]
Did not make the Advance at Anderson Ranch cause we needed to get the rental ready for my son Michael to move into. So the ministry was with my wife, awsome!

Did not take the toon or tube up to Alturus just waded at the inlet, probably needed to have some roe to be productive.
[signature]
Well I was a 4/5 weight and the "bobber" was what you promoted to use on the end of your floating line when fishin those chironomid's[crazy][:/][pirate]

Bit if you mean I need to go get a new fly rod I am all over that. I would like a 9' 3wt or 4wt and maybe a 5wt.[fishin]
[signature]
Just playin with you there, you said "it was unfortunately on a spinner not the fly rod. "
And myself, I always welcome a new rod to the quiver.
Sounds like you do just fine.
[signature]
You are absolutely right I forgot I had talked about the bull trout. Sorry[:p]

Have you tried that strike indicator setup in close to shore?
[signature]
Yes. If I am fishing from shore, I go with a 9' leaders and start off with the indicator at maybe 5' and a dropper at 4' and then just play with the distance because I have no idea how deep it is.

The last trip to D, I could see four large fish about 20 to 30 feet out from shore. I know from my boat and coming in and out, that is was around 5' deep there, so, I adjusted the leader so the flies were 4' and 3'. Caught one of those cruzing big boys...what a blast from shore.
[signature]
ive caught bulls in the salmon river on a fly rod, but never out of the lake. this gives me a new goal for next year!
[signature]
Was up there a couple weeks back, and saw quite a number of bulls caught. My report led to a bit of controversy in the discussion that ensued. Specifically regarding the handling and release of Bull Trout. I've learned they are relatives of the Dolly Varden. Some impressive fish no doubt!

Quite wily too - salmon eggs, or roe seemed the hot ticket. I found they went for a single egg on a single hook, well disguised. Had tried a triple hook with three eggs - rainbows jumped on that. But figured the Bulls would be safer with a single hook - plus they seemed more inclined to hit a single. They'd probably hit an egg pattern fly, but they seemed to search the bottom more than rising. Though there was a lot of jumping going on- 'specially around sunset.

Did you SEE all the Bulls hunkering on the bottom? I was in waders, and with polarized lenses - saw lots of big dark bulls just out from the dropoff. Seemed a whole school of them hung out just south of the inlet water. Such a dramatic change in temp where the river comes in - very 'zonal'.

So Fish-n-Game helped you measure the fish out of water? Most of the controversy surrounded whether a bull-trout can be lifted out of the water prior to release. I have a query into Idaho DWR asking that specific question, no answer yet. But if they were RIGHT there and helping . . . did he offer to take your picture with it?

Glad you had a good trip. That is truly some gorgeous country! And some great fishing to be had!
[signature]
dolly varden are bull trout. not sure why the name was changed ? cut bait works well for these. used to catch very very large ones by the rapid river hatchery before the protection...
[signature]
I caught an 18" out of Arrowrock and not only did I lift it out of the water but I also ate it.

Of course that was in the '70's.[cool]
[signature]
[quote hulapopper]dolly varden are bull trout. not sure why the name was changed ? [/quote]
I've seen this brought up several times but there is a distinction. Dolly Varden are sea run bull trout. Just like steelhead are sea run rainbow trout. Except a bull trout is a char but you get the idea.
[signature]
Not to be argumentative here but I'm afraid that's incorrect. Dolly Varden Salvelinus malma and Bull Trout Salvelinus confluentus are different species completely. Both Dollies and Bulls can be anadromous though I think it's more common in dollies (but don't quote me on that one [Smile])
Happy Fishing!
[signature]
Don't forget Brook Trout (Salvelinus fontinalis) and Lake Trout (Salvelinus namaycush) also of the Char family....[Wink]

I still go with the Sturgeon law. You can PARTIALLY lift the fish from the water for a picture. I think I like this because obviously, your hands are wet, you aren't as likely to squeeze the fish as they don't seem to struggle as much.
I would go with barbless myself to help ensure no damage.

I got to repeat that allot of F&G don't know the whole laws either. I see boats all the time with motors and no licenses, and F&G is only worried about fishing licenses and vest.
I also feel, these F&G that don't know the law be reported not so much to get them in trouble but to make sure that they learn the laws.
Just my 2ยข worth.
[signature]
There was some discussion about the Dolly-Bull relationship on the Utah board. You're on it - bulls are stuck, dolly's go to the ocean. But - the bulls could if they had the chance. Damned dams! From what I saw - they were SPLIT off from from one another - again - biologists 'redefining' for management control. Or maybe that's just my interpretation.
I found it quite educational. rather than quote - I'll just reference:

http://www.bigfishtackle.com/forum/Utah_...ead#unread

Had to laugh when I learned the source of the name. Dickens' character - wearing flashy dresses. Now we fish for them with flashy lures. Go figure.
[signature]
Hey - I was the one guilty of draggin the old trash out on the lawn. Guess Alturas was on the brain (or the search engine).

ok - so please tell me - how did they taste - The Bulls!? Someone suggested they'd only be good smoked. Course folks say that about Carp too - or pickled. Meat be meat, no? Plus FLAVOR!! Though anything over a 5lber- I'd think more of a spawner, than a smoker...

The more closely trout are related to salmon - I find the taste improves. Gawd - the difference of a nice Cutthrout vs the standard 'Bow planters..... somethin' about that pink flesh.... Sorry I'm BBQing tonight - salivating as I go....

Fish on folks!
[signature]
ya I've never heard of an idaho bull being anadromous (though I suppose it's possible). I was talking about bulls in more coastal waters, they are sometimes anadromous. Here we have fluvial, adfluvial and stream resident bulls.
[signature]
FlyGoddess,
Don't know what you mean by the "sturgeon law", but so as not to mislead folks, there is no law in Idaho that permits any lifting or partial lifting of sturgeon. The law is very plain: you may not remove a sturgeon from the water. The F & G regs further state that you may not drag the sturgeon's head partially on shore for picture taking. It harms the fish. Just don't want anyone being ticketed thinking they are abiding by the "sturgeon law". Mike
[signature]
No I didn't see any hanging on the bottom cause my polerized sun glasses were at home. I had also forgot my egg flies and even thought we measured the bull together we were quick to get it released.

When I visited with the officer at Alturus, he felt most of them had moved up the inlet to spawn, but either way they did not care for what I offered them.
[signature]