Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SouthernCalifornia Saltwater Report 8/13-19

Hi there guys,

This entry starts a new 1 week daily report.

Southern California Saltwater

Report for August 13, 2003 (Wednesday)

Way Up North- Avila
Limits of rockfish for the boats that got out.

Up North- Channel Islands
Big variety of fish including sand bass being caught.

LA Area- Catalina Island
Calico and Barracuda bite was wide open for the sporties making the trip.

Further South- San Clemente
Albacore showing on the backside is the big news.

San Diego- Local and Ablacore
Lots of albacore with the fish getting closer and closer. The local bite is just about what it has been for the last week.

LA Local
Horseshoe and Huntington Flats revived a bit today and put out some good counts on the gar with sandies showing a little better than yesterday.

JapanRon
[signature]

Hey there guys,

Report for August 14, 2003 (Thursday)

BIG NEWS !!!!!!! There's Yellowtail in them thar waves!! Some San Diego boats got over a hundred yellows today. Many others kicked out 4 to 5 per rod.

THE BIG QUESTION! How soon is that gonna happen in San Clemente Island and Santa Catalina Island.

Way Up North- Avila
Rockfish and a few albies for those who went after them.

A mix of bass, rockfish and lings filled out the counts.

LA Area- Catalina
Calicos and Barries for the most part.

Calicos with everyone waiting for that big yellowtail push.

San Diego- Albies and Local
The really local boats did there usual lackluster performance BUT.. a number of other boats including overnighters, all day, and multi-day boats just killed the yellowtail. Yea...... way to go....

LA Local
Compared to two weeks ago the counts are pretty Sad. Redondo is the exception, as a landing, with almost a 1000 sandbass. Sand Bass and Barries make up the counts.

JapanRon
[signature]

Hey there guys,

Report for August 15, 2003 (Friday)

The Blue Horizon did really well with 13 passengers getting 65 yellows, 37 albies, 8 mahi mahi, 15 skipjack, and 1 mako shark. Congratulations guys gooooooooood job!!!

Way Up North- Avila
Lots of rockfish and a few lings

Up North- Channel Island
The big news is all the sand bass and limits fishing

LA Area- Catalina
Calico and Barries this sounds like a broken record.

Not much info other than Bassin' good with a few yellows

San Diego- Local and Albies
Albacore, Yellowtail wide open and a few exotics being being caught here there and everywhere.

LA Local
MDR have good sandbass counts with other boats like the Victory and Native Sun doing nicely. Newport and Daveys did pretty good on the sandbass but barracuda were the real deal in the upper and middle huntington flats areas.

JapanRon
[signature]

Hey there guys,

Report for August 16, 2003 (Saturday)

Way Up North- Avila
A few albacore and limits of rockfish.

Lots of Sand Bass and a few WSB.

LA Area- Catalina Island
Calicos and Barracuda with a few yellows showing on the front side.

Bass bite good but I think that there were a bunch of yellows caught but no confirmation as yet. The Rail Time hand limits and Davey's, Dana Point and Newport had boats scoring on Yellows.

San Diego- Local and Albacore
Albacore fishing fantastic. Local fishing heating up with biting yellows found closer to home.

LA Local
From MDR to Newport the Sand Bass count was great. Lots of limits or near limits on 3/4 day boats like the Victory, Redondo Special, and Premier. Quite a few 1000+ fish landings but angler numbers have something to do with that count.

JapanRon
[signature]
On Saturday we had 90 people and got 720 sand basses!![laugh]

Aaron, hey Ron, Lets go to San Diego and fish on the Mission Belle 3/4 day for yellows and albies!!!
[signature]

Report for August 17, 2003 (Sunday)

100+_White Sea Bass caught by the Toronado Today!
Blue Horizon 1 day trip with 13 anglers got 37 yellowtail and 65 albacore! Good Job

Way Up North- Avila
Albacore and limits of rockfish caught.

Lots of Sand Bass and other fish especially at Channel Island Sportfishing Center and Port Hueneme.

LA Area- Catalina
Calicos, Barracuda, Yellowtail, WSB.... What else do you want.

Calicos, a few barrries and yellowtail. So the yellows are finally starting to nibble, nibble, nibble, but not bite.

Awesome albie trips by almost all the multi-day boats. Yellows being caught on a few 3/4 day boats.

La Local
Santa Monica Bay landing did OK today with Redondo getting the honors 1000+ bass. 1/2 the other landings had about 1000 sand bass, with barracuda. I think the bass are starting to thin and are coming in schools or waves of fish.
Lots of anglers out there comparied to the fish counts.

JapanRon
[signature]

Hey there dh_tubinaaron,

Ya done good! I say that on account of the fact that even the Victory with having 90 anglers must be a bear to deck. Especially if you've got a mixed species bite.

In the old days you really had to watch yourself when a couple of boneheads decided they liked the barracuda that were being brought in!

Think you would have got limits for the boat if the load had only been say 60 anglers?

Anywho, you musta worked your tail off before and after. Man!!! can 90 anglers splash a boat or what?

JapanRon
[signature]
sand bassES???? haha

i saw you on the tank today.... i was on the tank chumming too! yippeeee! the bass bite at santa monica bay was very picky today.... a slow pick all day. I think we had 380 sand bass or so for 53 anglers.... we had some hot chicks on the boat today.... too bad they were too old for me. hehe!

joe
[signature]

Hi there DH_tubinjoe,

Just worry about what's in season, the fish being too short and the girls too young. The rest will take care of itself! ha ha ha

JapanRon
[signature]
Amen to that!!!

Hey Ron,

Hear about the Native sun, So Cal and C of Seal beach all seeing yellows in the dirty LONG BEACH WATER?! The CofS got 1 the other day and Ryan on the So Cal said that they saw some boilin around them today!!

We ran to CAT and fished for the Calico Basses and We had about 20 Yellows greet us in Italian gardens, BIG BASTARDS!! Breezers and everyone watched as I had fed tehm from the tank, and the funny part was that no one of those ding dongs would throw a sardine at them!!!! [crazy]

Aaron
[signature]

Hey there dh_tubinarron,

Ha Ha that's funny! Sometimes Danny gets so bent out of shape he comes out of the wheelhouse yellin' 'Nobody want's 'em huh? Nobody want's 'em huh! Then he grabs his pole pushes his way to the rail and the heck with the non-producers that are experienced anglers. It's really funny to see and his bark is worse than his bite. Kinda like Victory's Mike.

JapanRon
[signature]
Mike will bite though sometimes!!!

Aaron
[signature]

Hey there guys,

Report for August 18, 2003 (Monday)

BFT caught on a San Diego 3/4 day boat!
Marlin YFT and dorado caught on a San Diego day boat.

Way Up North- Avala
Lots of rockfish and a few albies

Good sand bass bite but the staple bite still those rockfish.

LA Area- Catalina Island
Same old story Calicos, Barracuda and big 'ol breezin' yellows. I do believe a good number of yellows were caught today but I don't know if it was Catalina or Clemente.

Some boats from Dana and Newport had good counts of yellows so my money is there's a good bite of yellows at Clemente it just those guys are keeping it quiet.

Albacore being caught on the 3/4 day as well as the all day.
The local bite is a real crap shoot. You might catch anything right now. No kiddin' Hit the right paddies or temperature break and you'll get a big suprise.

LA Local
Decent sand bass bite again up at the SMB top end and down Newport and Dana Point way. OK bite in the middle too with sand bass, barracuda and calicos up further on the 'Shoe'.

JapanRon
[signature]

Hey there guys,

Report for August 19, 2003 (Tuesday)

San Diego had another banner day with one boat gettig 110 yellows. The Blue Horizon managed to haul in 28 yellowtail.

Way Up North- Avila
Rockfish are the mainstay

Report delayed

LA Area- Catalina Island
Report delayed but water temperatue at 71 degrees Fished Catlina today for decent barracuda but less than great Calico fishing. Didn't see any breezing yellows today.

I believe yellows and calicos are being caught with the water temperature rising and fish migrating.

Albacore continue banner year with BFT within 25 miles of San Diego.

LA Local
Report delayed

JapanRon
[signature]