Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Old Shimano Reel, Suggestions?
Hello everyone,

I am new to this website, but I am a long-time reader.

I have recently come into possession of my grandfather's old fishing equipment, and among the relics is a reel that I know very little about.
It is a:

Shimano Bantam
B-Mag 2000II
Two ball bearings
Magnetic Control
Two speeds- 5.2:1 and 3.8:1

My question: Is this a reel worth hanging on to? I know the technology involved is changing every year, and the newest is almost always better. Second, does anyone know what this would have retailed for brand new?

Thank you for any help!!! I hope to hear from you all soon!

-Carl
[signature]
From what I could find by Googling the info, it appears that sellers are asking $150 for this reel.
Check out this URL [url "http://www.getbentsportfishing.com/forum/sale-trade/9246-shimano-bantam-black-magnum-2000-ii-speed.html"]Shimano_Black_Magum_2000II[/url]
[inline Shimano.JPG]
[signature]
First off, that was a top quality reel in it's time. There is no reason not to use it now. It might not run quite as smooth as a new reel but if it's in good shape, it will work just fine. One thing I would point out is that it was built in the early to mid 1980's. If it has not been serviced on a regular basis, the greaseis most likely solidified and the oil has dried up. If the reel seems to be in good shape and you want to use it, you should have it serviced. Older quality casting reels will have an amazing performance gain form a service and tune up.
As for the 2nd question, I beleive they sold for about $50.00 in the 80's
[signature]