Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Downriggers ??
I have been hearing a bit about people using downriggers. I've never used them on my boat and am thinking of getting 1 or 2 of them. Does anybody have 1 or 2 that they want to get rid of CHEAP ???

Anybody have any advice relating to downriggers?

Are motorized ones a ton better than manual crank? Are there any other features I should be looking for before I buy them?? Does the weight matter? I've seen 8lb and 10lb talked about.

I hear now is the time to be using them on the berry, so if somebody has them, I might be willing to work out a quick deal.

Thanks a bunch !!!
[signature]
[#000050]Just my opinion here, but I've used downriggers for many years starting with the manual ones and graduating to electrics. The electrics are quite spendy, but worth it for managing the "bottom" or quickly changing depths when schools of fish are located. It's also easier to hit the UP button and continue fighting a fish rather than hand cranking . [/#000050]
[#000050][/#000050]
[#000050]You can fish lakes like Strawberry without them with weights and lead core, but the riggers are quick and easy for precise depth management.[/#000050]
[#000050][/#000050]
[#000050]I've seen several manual Cannons on KSL lately fairly cheap. You will just have to keep an eye out for them.[/#000050]
[#000050][/#000050]
[#000050]Personaly, I like 10 lb weights for deeper water, but 8lbrs will get the job done. If you look back in the For Sale Forum, you will find weights offered by members fairly cheap.[/#000050]
[#000050][/#000050]
[#000050]Hope this helps with your decision and best of luck.[/#000050]
[signature]
A good way to start is hand cracker if you want to give them a try before getting spendy by buying eletric. And this just MHO, both made a good down rigger but I like Scotty's far more than Cannon. Why? Scotty's pick up twice the length of cable per crank of the handle..
One more word of advice. If you go eletric be sure you buy riggers rated for the weights you intend to use. Some rigger stuggle greatly with 10 -12lb weights. I'd choose to avoid those eletric riggers rated less than 20lbs.. Just MHO..
[signature]
Downrigging is the only way to fish. I am looking at the Z-Wing downrigger system now and might have to try it.
[signature]
If you're really interested in downriggers, google "Using downriggers". There is a ton of great information out there on all the details you'd ever want to know. Youtube has videos, Big Jon and other manufacturers have great tutorials.

With that being said, I have Scotty electric downriggers on my boat and they never get used. Guess I prefer a jig and a bow mounted electric to trolling but if the wind comes up or I'm kokanee fishing I'll use the downriggers. They're just another gun in your arsenal.
[signature]
I meant to add,, and I'll blame it on the whether that I forgot to do so, but anyone that uses downrigger's and light tackle such as a flasher and ? fished to a depth of 35' should check into Shuttle Hank's.
[signature]