Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Manatee spotted in Clinton marina
Manatee spotted in Clinton marina
Updated: Friday, 20 Aug 2010, 5:24 PM EDT
Published : Friday, 20 Aug 2010, 5:24 PM EDT

[ul][li][url "http://www.wtnh.com/dpp/news/news_team/tina_detelj"]Tina Detelj[/url] [/li][/ul]
Clinton, Conn. (WTNH) - A manatee, not usually seen this far north, was spotted at a marina in Clinton.
Folks at the Cedar Island Marina were surprised to see the manatee, about 9 or 10 feet long, Friday morning.
"The water at the time was about two and a half three feet deep. It just came over, rolled right on his back and just drank water. Right from that pipe right there. Right from the drain and he just stayed there and just drank water," said Beth Patrizzi.
Beth Patrizzi who works in the research lab at Cedar Island Marina says the manatee looks a lot like one seen in Bridgeport two days ago. It may be rare, but these mammals, known as sea cows, do sometimes make their way into the warm New England waters.
"It was amazing. I never saw anything up close like that up close. It was fun," said boater Donna Silks.
"It was completely carefree. It just laid on its back. Everyone was just looking over the dock and taking pictures," said Larry Silks.
Someone even tried to feed it lettuce. But it wasn't interested and eventually swam out with the tide.
"I'm a mammal lover. When it comes to marine mammals it's just what gets me excited. So to see a manatee here in a marina I've been working at is just absolutely breathtaking," Patrizzi said.
Patrizzi believes by now the manatee has already left Clinton harbor and is back out into the Long Island Sound
[signature]
WE'll have to tell Jay not to hit it. LOL
[signature]
lol
[signature]
I dont know if I like the implications of this type of sighting..

either the weather is so warm they are migrating up, or the golf is so messed up they are looking for cleaner waters.

or am I missing something? do they normaly come that far north?
[signature]
Dave, we get one or two a year up here and hope they make it back before the cold hits.
[signature]