Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fins - Wide or Narrow?
[cool][font "Arial Narrow"][size 4]Hey Guys,[/size][/font]

[font "Arial Narrow"][size 4]Have read several of the past discussions regarding choice of fins. Looking at these various brands on-line, some appear to be vary narrow ie. the [#ff0000]Mares Plana Avanti Fins[/#ff0000] or very wide ie. the [#ff0000]Force Fin Adjustable[/#ff0000]. Which is the prefered width for float tubing. Fishing that is not racing?[/size][/font]
[signature]
I have used my force fins once since aquiring them late last year. They seemed comfortable. It does not take much effort to get me going, although, my dive fins were pretty quick when I needed to get to a spot. I find that the force fins allow me to turn with more ease. I have to try it out a few more time for a more complete review.

If you are just gonna cruise, I don't think there is that much of a difference in the performance of the fins to matter. Just my opinion. Perhaps more experienced dudes (as in TD) could shed somemore light on the matter. Also, I believed a discussion regarding fins might be found on the search feature? Good luck! I am sure you will get enough info on this site to help you make the right decision.

Halibut
[signature]
[cool][size 4]Hey Halibut,[/size]

[size 4]Had tried on a pair of Force Fins today. The adjustables seemed more comfortable than the others. But they sure are wide and not inexpensive at $120 a copy.[/size] [size 4]Got a bum knee and was wondering if their width would put extra strain on the old bod?[/size]
[signature]
I think it was because I was out of the water for 4 months, my hamstring cramped up after 4 hours of kicking around... no discomfort to the knees.

Do you have dive fins now? you are more than welcome to try out my force fins before you buy. I can use my dive fins whilst you try out the force fins. Just let me know when you want to try them out.

Halibut
[signature]
[cool]What are you trying to do, Dryrod? Start dissention amongs the troops? Asking for opinions on fins is right up there with religion, politics and favorite lines.

With a tender knee, I would suggest going to a softer blade fin, and a narrower one at that. As Halibut expressed, shorter and more rigid blades are good for power, but can have the tendency to put more strain on the human body using them. The old law of phusics.."for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction," Whatever force you apply, registers with your knees.

As far as wide and narrow, I prefer the narrower ones, since you don't keep kicking your own fins. But, for power and overall propulsion, the main factors are total blade size...blade shape...blade rigidity/flexibility...and even the blade design. There are some models (like the force finss) that are especially engineered to channel the displaced water for maximum efficiency.

I would take Halibut up on his generous offer to allow you to try something before buying. That is always a good policy. Heck, you might even learn something about Halibut's top secret fishing methods while you are at it.
[signature]
The only secrets I keep are how not to look like bait while you are floating.....Hahaha!!!! Actually, all my fishing secrets are ancient Chinese secrets. They were told to me by this ancient chinese guy, man, was he old.[sly]
[signature]
[cool]C'mon, Halibut. We are trying to avoid offending anyone on this forum. Now you have taken a shot at both Chinese people and old people. I'm one of those, but I can't remember which one.
[signature]
Nah... not shots....[Tongue] you are such a whipersnapper!!!! you are prob.... Ohh i'd say no more than 40 yrs young. If that is true, then that makes some of your fishing stories that goes back 41 yrs ago, kinda fishy????[shocked][laugh][laugh][laugh]
[signature]
[cool]Most people who ask my age get the answer "PLENTY NINE". But, since I am among friends (I think), I will divulge that in July I hit the big 6-0. That makes me six times better than a 10.

I wish all of my stories could be fishy. Those are the best kind.
[signature]