Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Using what nature provides to bait your hook
I was catfishing today and I started poking around my spot to see what types of little critters were common there. I found plenty of crawdads and I put them in the stinkbait container. I started with baitshop worms on a small hook. I ended up reeling in a 5-6" creek chub. Using the fish's tail for bait, I caught a 5-pound channel cat (about 18" long). Later, I caught a smaller forktail with crawdad. When we tried to fix up the larger one later (this ended up failing miserably; my dad accidently cut in the wrong spot and the viscera got into the flesh), I cut open the stomach to see what he had been eating. I found at least 4 crawdads, including one that must have been swallowed whole. Anyone else know ways to catch your bait on-the-spot?
[signature]
use a pole set up for blue gill small bober swivel and then a tout hook with a 1/4 inch worm on it

then cut the the blue gill and put it on a hook
[signature]
A minnow trap also works, but you usually have to leave them overnight and make sure you don't get any snakes (I think they'd make good bait, but some people just hate them), or madtoms. Madtoms are like little slender catfish minnows. They have barbs that are laced in poison. Not lethal, but stings a lot.

You could also go frogging with flies
[signature]