Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Big Channel Cats?
A "big" channel cat where I live is 5lbs and over. Since we have no blues, flatheads (or whites for that matter), I have to target forktails. So how does one catch a large channel cat? I know a lot of people swear by "the more the merrier", but I would like answers regarding what type of bait, and more importantly, dead or live bait? Or live bait that's been cut? Should I pullout my minnow trap?
[signature]
what state u in? I have landed big channels on half dead minnows fishin the bottom.
[signature]
Illinois- between Chicago and Milwaukee.
[signature]
If it is legal HUGE chunks of cutbait. Also I fully think that the best time of the year to catch big channels is early in the spring before spawn. Ron
[signature]
Cutbait has worked in the past, but only with cut fish. Frogs are easier to find and catch, but I've never caught anything using a frog for cutbait. I think they're green frogs that I'm catching; bullfrogs would probably be better, but I can't find them this time of year.
[signature]
I use trout here in Idaho. I work at a trout hatchery and I can get bait any time. My son Jacob and I went night fishing in our pontoons a while back. He put on a 5" long half of a 10" trout, the head portion. He got a monster hit and had the fish for a bit but he had ran his 4/0 hook through the head and the cat was never fully hooked. I was looking down into the water when it came up for a second. It was the biggest channel I have seen. I wish the hook would have stuck. Ron
[signature]
Yeah, that's a frustrating feeling. We don't have (natural) trout here (anymore). You need a special license just to fish them in the one county lake where they are stocked. I'm jealous- trout are my favorite eating fish and they're great for pike. I'm also jealous of your job, too. The more I read your posts, the more I want to move to Idaho. Great hunting, too I'll bet.
[signature]
No the hunting is not all that great[cool] Ron

[Image: Megabuck15.jpg]

[Image: 2009buck08-A.jpg]

[Image: Megadeer15.jpg]

[Image: Mybuck55.jpg]

[Image: jacobronelk35.jpg]
[signature]
Holy smokes Idahoron nice bucks[cool] didnt know you could use stocker rainbows for live bait. Im right below u in NV never hunted Idaho thought bout it, but I just dont like the non res fees. You guys got great tag fee's for residents.
[signature]
O ok never been up there know someone from bloomington. One thing I know is all no matter the state stockers or wild channel cats love the real deal such as other fish (doesent really matter what kind) not that putty or stinkbait crap. Although some anglers have been known to catch em on lures[cool]

[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/forum/gforum.cgi?post=606091;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;page=unread#unread"]http://www.bigfishtackle.com/forum/gforum.cgi?post=606091;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;page=unread#unread[/url]
[signature]
Well, at least white tail make for better eating. Nice bucks!
[signature]