Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A quick FYI
Idaho F&G is proposing some changes to the upcoming fishing proclamation and we have a chance to give our opinions on the changes, either at a scheduled meeting or in the form of an online survey.

The changes could be quite interesting. I looks like there could be a lot more year round stream seasons Smile

Here's a link to the meeting times: http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/apps/releas...ewsID=5561

And here's a link to the surveys. Just click on the drop box to find your areas:
http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/fishSurvey/...ction=show

Please voice your opinions. Public participation is crucial to a functioning democracy's bureaucratic system.
[signature]
They sent me the survey for the Salmon region. Several of the questions concern eliminating catch and release in certain waters because it has done nothing to help the fish in the 10-20 years they have had it in place. But they don't say what it would change to if C&R is eliminated. I'd hope some kind of fishing was still available.
[signature]
I also received a survey for the South East region and have filled it out. Most of the things F&G are trying to do sounded good and the overall feeling was F&G are trying to simplify the regulations. After all the threads on here lately, that seems like a step in the right direction.
[signature]
I took the upper snake river survey. I thought the Henry's Lake questions were very interesting.

Windriver
[signature]
Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

I took the Southwest survey.
[signature]
I took the upper snake survey and voted January 31 for the closing date On Henry's . Curt G.
[signature]
I also voted Jan 31 for closing Henry's. I would love a more accessible time frame to actually ice fish it up there!
[signature]
As someone who plans on moving BACK to Idaho to retire, I hope they leave Henry's just the way it is.
That is our vote.[cool]
[signature]
I also voted for the January 31st closure. A lot of the reg changes being proposed were very good ideas I thought.
[signature]
I hope they don't open Henry's up that long for ice fishing simply because that would remove my desire to work during the winter.[cool]

Windriver
[signature]
I also voted for Jan 31 as the closing date. I read somewhere that fishermen only take about 5% of the fish in Henry's during a normal season. It seems reasonable that with a little longer season that the percent would only climb to about 7-8%. I would love to pull an 8lb trout through an 8" hole.
[signature]
So get up there in Nov. LOL Everett did it last year.
It ain't broke......
[signature]
I love ice fishing, but I prefer some thick ice. I am not the type to push the limits of thin ice. It is just not worth it.
[signature]
With our river laws here in Utah, I am thinking of taking up Ice Fishing for winter use, but I am with you on the thick ice.
As far as the H, what will be will be. It seems like this constant battle is getting old.
I still believe it ain't broke don't_______ with it ...oh okay ..MESS with it. [cool] The outcome looks good on PAPER, but that can be way off, and very hard to fix.
Trophy Lakes need special rules. One more month isn't much, but inching way to year round which I still believe to be a mistake.
Can't make everyone happy, but like the house by the airport...it has been this way for a long time, don't like it.......there are other lakes.

I will agree to the one extra month if you can get them to lower out of state license and make them 365....[Wink]
[signature]
I did too. Put Henry's Lake back to pre-2006 regs.
And I support some catch and release regs year round for a few rivers.
[signature]
As much as I hate to admit it, I support leaving it the way it is now. Yes, I would like more time. However, I have found enough tight pockets of fish (that I have released) that I believe a significant number of large fish could be taken out by Jan. even if people only keep their two.

Ice fishing is more social. People bring their brothers, and sisters, cousins etc... They find big fish and start calling their friends in Utah, Wyoming, and Montana. When the ice gets "safe." There would be huge crowds in Dec.

Would I like the extra opportunity? Of course. Should we do it? No

Windriver
[signature]