Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Broken throttle cable
Well I guess today was my day to ask for sum help please.
Just back from gettin the boat wet at E/C. Got it wet and pulled it out cause the steering cable broke..... ughhhhh!!!

Any way replacement of the steeering cable on a 1985 Glastron Conroy 16.5' open bow fiberglass with 90hp Johnson 2 stroke OB. How difficult is this?

I guess I'll give the guys at Dicks a call and price it out. Something I can do myself?

We were lucky... I was just ready to leave the marina when it happened, so just got the oar and paddled back to the ramp... good karmha I called it. Another safe 2010 launching. So far so good. So I got to break out another thousand!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
[signature]
I've replaced my steering cable before. Mine was a push/pull type that the when you turned the steering wheel there was a round planetary gear that used the "teeth" in the steering cable. I pulled mine out first, then took it to Lee's Marine and bought a new cable and installed it pretty easy. Cost me about $100 for the cable and labor was only my time.
[signature]
[ul][li]ok so i removede the cable from the tilt tube on the left side. now do i have to remove the jam nut on the right side of the motor? Looks like i need to pull the engine bolts to get the cable to pull free from the engine.... is that right?[/li][/ul]
[signature]
Depending on the motor well configuration, sometimes the motor has to be removed to pull the cable out of the tilt tube, there should be a 1 1/8 (usually on the right side) nut on the cable that has to be loosened from the tilt tube. most of the older cables are no longer available so the system will have to be updated, the kits include a new helm and cable all you need to know is length and whether it is rack & pinion or rotory. the best thing to do is take the cable in and match it up at your local marine store. From my experience Marine products stocks a lot of these systems. Their number is 801-973-4017. Hope this helps.
[signature]
Thanks. I got it pulled free and need to remove all zip ties now and yank it.
Appreciate the help.
[signature]