Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fish Cleaning Question
I'm new to this forum and really liking it. It looks like it will be a fun place to hang out and share fish stories and tips.

When I was a kid, we never filleted our fish. We'd just gut them at the lake or river and take them home and put them in the frying pan. The last couple of years I've learned to fillet the fish, and I know we can't transport the fillets which means doing the filleting at home. I'm wondering if I still need to gut them at the fish cleaning stations. If I stick them in a cooler (with guts intact) with ice and make the hour or so drive home will it effect (or is it affect?) the meat? I'm curious as to what everyone else does.
[signature]
First let me say welcome to BFT. If I have ice and the drive back isn't too long I tend to leave the guts in if I am going to fillet the fish when I get home. If they can stay on my stringer another hour at the lake then why not on ice in a cooler?
[signature]
I always try to gut them before coming home if for no other reason than it is less to clean up and throw away when I do filet them. It's also less chance for the meat to get spoiled by the contamination of the entrails during transit. You wouldn't bring a deer home whole would you?

Welcome to the forum. You are correct, this is a great place with lots of good info, advice and fish stories.
[signature]
[quote TheCarDoctor]

... and I know we can't transport the fillets which means doing the filleting at home. [/quote]

Welcome to BFT and thanks for posting. There are very few bodies of water in Utah where it is illegal to fillet the fish at the body of water and in turn transport the fillets. Strawberry is one place that it is illegal. For those places where it is legal, if you would prefer go ahead and fillet them at the body of water.
[signature]
Welcome to the site TCD.
I think everyone will have their own opinion on this question. To me it is a time factor and once I'm off the lake, I want to get home and tell everyone how great I did, lol. If I have ice, that I can put the fish on, I will bring them home before I gut them or fillet them. When I'm not in a big hurry or I have a nice guy like Petty4life to gut them for me, I'll do it at the lake[Wink]. I personally don't think it affects the meat at all, at least on smaller fish, up to 2 or 3 lbs but if you are several hours from home, like the Gorge, it would be a good idea unless you are ice fishing and the fish are frozen solid. Of course this is JMO.
WH2
[signature]
Thanks for the replies. I think If I have less than an hour drive and I've got ice, I'll just do the cleaning at home.

What about my other question? Are there no English majors on this board? [Wink]
[quote TheCarDoctor]....will it effect (or is it affect?)[/quote]
[signature]
Affect is correct.

Affect is used as a verb, and effect is usually used as a noun.

Affect is the action itself. Effect is the end result of the action.
ie: It will affect it. What was the final effect.

I remember the difference by knowing that "E" comes after "A".
[signature]
No one answered your second question exactly but Nate did say:
[quote NatefromOgden]It's also less chance for the meat to get spoiled by the contamination of the entrails during transit.[/quote]
It is all a matter of opinion and a short trip home will likely not effect the fish but none of us can categorically state, they "will not be effected".
[signature]
[quote wiperhunter2]No one answered your second question exactly but Nate did say:
[quote NatefromOgden]It's also less chance for the meat to get spoiled by the contamination of the entrails during transit.[/quote]
It is all a matter of opinion and a short trip home will likely not effect the fish but none of us can categorically state, they "will not be effected".[/quote]

Actually the "other question" that I mean was the English question. I must have played hookie and went fishing the day they taught us the difference between effect and affect in school. I can never keep them straight!
[signature]
LOL, If we gave everyone a hard time ever time they used the wrong word we would never enjoy their post. It really isn't a big deal when someone mispells or uses the wrong word but when you have to reread their post because it doesn't make any sense, thats when you wish they had attended English class[Wink].
[signature]