Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Length of a 23 lb. Mac?
I'm trying to get a Master Angler award for the 23 lb. Mac I caught at Flaming Gorge. In-Fisherman says I need length since I released it. Does anyone know what gorge lake trout lengths are for a 23 lber?

Also, does the State of Utah have a Master Angler program?

Thanks

MCL
[signature]
At just over 20# the length can vary quite abit. Especially at the Gorge. Some are deep while others look more like at Bear Lake. So what is a Master Angler anyway and why do you want to become one. I once owned a dog that was a "Master Hunter" but I didn't know that had stuff like that for people.

tightline
[signature]
Eric,

Post me a picture and I can tell you. Gorge Macks can vary but, are generally heavier bodied than Bear Lake Macks, no not that BLM (though he's no little guppy). A rough guess is going to be 30".
[signature]
The Master Angler thing is a section that nobody reads in In-Fisherman, a magazine that nobody reads.

Plus, I know of several 35+ pounders taken from the Gorge this year. A 23'er is a memorable fish, but nothing to get your ego out of check.
O.K., you caught me, any details, where, when , how. I'm a sucker for these things. I forgot to add, Eric for your first try it's a very nice fish, some guys I know have been trying for years and are barely there.
[signature]
[Smile]42 to 44" , I mount 20 fish or so a year from the "Gorge". [reply]
[signature]
welcome aboard Taxi, now how much do you charger and can you do it from a pic and measurements?
[signature]
I'd like to know the same thing. It would have to be a repro since I won't keep them. That's Eric's fish below. I say 34". And a very nice fish.
[signature]
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=215;]
[signature]
$11.00/in. for skin mounts and $12.00/in for reproductions from yuor pic and measurements.
[signature]
A suggestion Eric,

You can look at your picture and see quite closely where the fish starts and ends on your body. How about looking closely at the picture and having someone measure that same area on your body?
[signature]
That would be hard to do with this picture. Look how he's holding it quite a ways out from his body. Thats just an old trick to make the fish look bigger in the picture. The fish is closer to the camera than his body, which makes it look bigger than it really is against his body. You'd have to subtract off an inch or two first. [Smile]
[signature]
You are right; however, combining that measurement (after the inch or two adjustment) with the educated guesses above, I would think would give him a fairly close approximation of the length.
[signature]
[reply]
So what is a Master Angler anyway and why do you want to become one. I once owned a dog that was a "Master Hunter" but I didn't know that had stuff like that for people.

tightline [/reply]
Don't worry about what I want. Worrying about Tightline is full time job for Tightline.[mad]
[signature]
[reply]
The Master Angler thing is a section that nobody reads in In-Fisherman, a magazine that nobody reads.

Plus, I know of several 35+ pounders taken from the Gorge this year. A 23'er is a memorable fish, but nothing to get your ego out of check. [/reply]
You and Tightline need to go drink a tall cool glass of Hater-aide.
[signature]
[reply]
O.K., you caught me, any details, where, when , how. I'm a sucker for these things. I forgot to add, Eric for your first try it's a very nice fish, some guys I know have been trying for years and are barely there. [/reply]

A full report is in the Flaming Gorge section. Thanks for positive comments. I was very happy catching fresh water fish that big after showing up to lake that I have never fished, fishing for a species that I have never fished before.

Let me know if you have trouble finding the report.

thanks
[signature]
[reply]
That would be hard to do with this picture. Look how he's holding it quite a ways out from his body. Thats just an old trick to make the fish look bigger in the picture. The fish is closer to the camera than his body, which makes it look bigger than it really is against his body. You'd have to subtract off an inch or two first. [Smile] [/reply]
I was gonna give that a shot, but I'm not sure how far out I was holding that fish. I was keeping slime off my shirt, not trying to fool anyone! LOL
[signature]
Hey come now EricCo I wasn't being sarcastic. I was being quite serious. I'm always up for a challange and was truly inquiring. I am not the type to flame and was happy to see you on the Utah Board. I also must admit that is a great fish for the first time out on the Gorge(It's a great fish if you guided there). I know I didn't pull one out that size my first time out there. Now reading my post after the fact it didn't read really well but that was not intended. I hope you still feel welcome on the Utah board and good luck on the Master Angler thing. You are always welcome here.

Tightline
[signature]
I'd be happy holding up 23# of fish any day.
[signature]
No matter why it was you were holding it away from you it's still a very nice fish. I wouldn't care how many 35+ pounder's were caught or by who i would be proud of a fish like your's. Again nice fish way to go.
[signature]