Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Callville 8-20/21-10
Me and my brother went out last friday night to pull an all-nighter and see if we could get into some fish. We hit the water at around 9pm and anchored just southwest of the entrance to the narrows. We chummed the area a bit and dropped some sardines down. After an hour and a half of no action there we pulled anchor and drifted down the wall just south of the light markers for the narrows and pulled one nice striper. He was nice and fat. I attached a picture. That was the only fish we caught all night. Sad
[inline narrows1.jpg]

I could have swore we would have had better luck with the cut bait. I even had the green light stick down and there were several thousand 1/2"-1" shad around the boat. I dropped my minnow catcher in and the shad were so small that they just swam right through the sides. lolol I threw my net a few times but they were to small to stay in the net. We drifted around there till around 5am.

Once the sun peaked over we headed south of callville bay and had some success. We caught 12 stripers chasing small boils around for a couple hours. They were all pretty small, but it was fun. They were hitting swimbaits, crankbaits and jig. They were all schooling size. I attached a pick of one of them caught on a crankbait.

[inline crankbait1.jpg]

Im gonna head back out tomorrow morning around 5am and chase some more boils. [fishin]
[signature]
Thanks for reporting vegaskid [cool] Ive had the best striper sucess during sunrise. Love getting em with a crankbait even if they are dinkers fun to track em down. Too bad you didnt have a pool skimmer onboard for the shad lol[sly] were they all hittin on shad color lures??

~4poundonly
[signature]
Yep, shad color. The swimbaits we used were the berkley powerbait swimbaits in shad color. I attached a pic of one. We had the best bite on these guys and they are a great price at bass pro. Like 5 in a pack for 4 bucks or something. A great swimbait and you can throw them a mile. The crank was chartruese and the jig was white.
[signature]
Thanks have had luck with simliar swimbaits storm wildeye swim shad in white[cool]oh yeah was gonna ask you did you try for any cats while out?
[signature]
I didnt target any cats, of course you never know what you might get. I stayed up of the bottom though. When I take my wife and kids for the day we generally beach at sandy cove and I catch small cats all day on my ultralight using a worm threader. That sandy cove is a cat haven.
[signature]
Nice report. A blown motor in my truck has kept me from getting out there. Looking for a running chevy 350 btw lol
[signature]
how much are you looking to spend on the 350? I know some one that rebuilds them and may have one ready for sale right now.
[signature]
I have a fresh 350 that was built for a specific application and then things changed. Its been sitting (covered) in my garage for over a year. Stock compression with some decent heads with stainless valves. Would sell just the short block if your interested or complete with heads.
[signature]
Send me a pm, so we don't hijack the thread.
[signature]
I'd need the longblock. Send me a pm, so we don't hijack the thread.
[signature]
Sorry bout the Hijack, Vegaskid. [Wink]
[signature]
lolol, no worries bro. Im glad you might be getting a new motor so we can get some more fishing reports[cool]
[signature]